Mark IV FX Loop and MIDI Questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phantomlord2oo

Reaction score
I'm planning on getting a Mark IV head since it's very versatile and sounds good. But I have a couple of questions regarding the FX loop and using MIDI with it.

1. Is the FX loop serial or parallel. I perfer a serial loop.

2. In the manual that I downloaded from Mesa's website it says that the amp has 2 FX loops which is just what I need/want. What kind of FX loops are they (serial or parallel)? 1 loop I'll need on all the time (that's where I'll put my effect pedals, parallel loop ideally) and the other loop I only need on channel 3 (a serial loop ideally for a noise supressor).

3. I have a Ground Control Pro MIDI foot controller and a GCX Guitar Audio Switcher. I know that the Mark IV can be controlled via MIDI (all I need is channel switching, so how would I get it to work with what I have or what would I need to buy?

Thanks for any help!

+Mike+

The Mark IV has a stereo effects loop which is a serial loop. Unless you plan on running two rigs (wet/dry or stereo setup) you'll only need to run one side of the loop in mono.

The Mark IV is switchable using the six 1/4" relays on the rear. There is a relay for each channel, one for the EQ, one for the loop, and one to switch between Class A and Simul-Class. There is also an additional relay for the reverb. I don't know much about the GCX but I believe you might need an Axess CFX4 or similar switcher to control the amp.

phantomlord2oo said:
I have a Ground Control Pro MIDI foot controller and a GCX Guitar Audio Switcher. I know that the Mark IV can be controlled via MIDI (all I need is channel switching, so how would I get it to work with what I have or what would I need to buy?
All you need to add are cables, you've got everything else you need with the GCX and GC Pro. First change the GC Pro from 10 preset mode to 4 preset mode. That will give you 8 instant access buttons on the GC Pro, those buttons will switch the jacks (via the GCX) on the back of the Mark IV. You also have to figure out whether each individual jack on the Mk IV needs a latching or momentary switch and use the appropriate jacks on the GCX to accomplish that.

Back