Mark IV combo to head conversion

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wannabweiland

Reaction score
This may sound like a ridiculous question, but if you've got a Mark IV widebody or short combo, can the chassis be taken out and put into a headshell so I can just have a head atop a cab? (I won't be upset if you make fun of the noob). Thanks guys.

Not only can you do it, but you can get a brand new head shell from Mesa. And if $$ is no object you can get it in any custom covering. I had just checked into the myself a month ago and it runs about $400 for the standard black tolex with fan and reverb tank installed. For a leather covering it adds another ~$400. On the other hand you can buy a Mark III head for that. Just sayin'.

You can't put the widebody heads in a rack kit. The short body, however, are designed for this. If you've got a widebody, you could always trade with someone who has a narrow head and then get a rackmount kit. I think going rate used for a rack kit is like $100.

sixtonoize said:
You can't put the widebody heads in a rack kit. The short body, however, are designed for this. If you've got a widebody, you could always trade with someone who has a narrow head and then get a rackmount kit. I think going rate used for a rack kit is like $100.

Excellent. To be honest, I'm looking to trade my Soldano for a MkIV, but I've been getting a lot of combo offers and I'm trying to find a way to make it work for me. I suppose if I can get my hands on a smallbody combo I'd be in OK shape?

Don't wait too long. The "short", rack-mountable chassis are no longer being made, and you are probably going to settle for a used rack-mount kit as well, as I didn't see them on Mesa's website. They show up on eBay fairly often.

I bought a rack adaptor from Mesa after they discontinued the Mark IV's. I believe they still sell them. As with the head shells, if they discontinue an amp they most likely still sell accessories. You should call them or check with your local store rep.

Latest posts

Back