Mark IV combo owners, please answer this for me.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibanezjp

Reaction score
What is the big sound difference between the celestion 90 in the newer combos and the EV speaker in the older combos. I am going to buy a mark IV used and I have been trying for a long time to decide which one to get and I have only played the Celestion 90. Another question too is how come people never put a vintage 30 in the combos. And If your going to tell me to get a head and cab don't bother becasue I already have 4x12 with vintage 30's that I will use for recording the amp. I just want the combo for live use because it's small.

The vintage 30's wattage is too low to just put into a combo isn't it? I think you need at least two of them in series.

I own a Mark IV combo with an EVM 12L and run it with a recto 1x12 (celestion). It is heaven. The EV alone sounds too thin to me, but when I hook it up with the recto for some reason it open up nicely. If you can't find a combo with the EV you can now buy them again separatley. Or you can use the celestion in the combo and slap an EV in a 1x12. I think it all goes back to my Mesa 1/2 back 2x12 with 1 EV and 1 celstion. That combination is magic.

THe EV will be a little brighter, clearer, and more hi-fi than the Celestion. The Celestion will break-up sooner and give a slightly rounder sound.

Buy a IV with a Celestion and then buy a 1x12 Thiele cab with an EV and you 'll get the best of both.

Mark,

Are you connecting both the amp speaker (8 ohm) and the 1 x 12 Rectifier cab (8 ohm) in the two 4 ohms jack of the Mark IV ? Or you leave the amp speaker in the 8 ohm and connect the cab in one of the 4 ohm jack ?

I'm not sure if I understand the Mark IV manual correctly, but it seem that when you use two 8ohm speaker/cab each one must be connected in the 4 ohms jacks ?

Thanks

highroller said:
I'm not sure if I understand the Mark IV manual correctly, but it seem that when you use two 8ohm speaker/cab each one must be connected in the 4 ohms jacks ?
Correct.

Latest posts

Back