Mark IV combo --> Mark IV head conversion

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ednolb

Reaction score
I've been looking to change my combo into a head. I've been looking for a headshell, but had difficulties finding one.
EDIT: I'm looking for a short headshell.

Right now, I have a few options:

1) Let Mesa Boogie ship one to me. This is difficult since the Benelux import dude claims he can't do this (+ it would take alot of time and cost me alot).

2) Vintageboogie.com, but the site isn't working for me (I can't access shipping and various other subpages).

3) Have one custom made for me. This seems to be the fastest way, but I don't have the dimensions of a Mark IV head. Is there anybody who can help me out?
I also checked some pic of a Mark IV head and it seems that the reverb is placed IN the bottom wood of the shell. Also the fan looks like it's placed in the back. This is not the case in the combo. Anybody has got some wiring diagrams for the Mark IV reverb and fan?

I believe Aart (dutch guy on the forum) has made a couple and I think he wanted to sell them. Maybe send him a pm?
I seem to remember a pic of a nice white tolex head...

My headshell should be here from Mesa next week. I will take some pics and post them before I swap over the guts. Mine is a widebody shell...will these dimensions/pics work for you or do you need shorthead pics?

Yeah, I need the short head dimensions, since I haven't got a wide body combo. Thanks anyway.

i had the widebody combo and i converted it to head. i called mesa boogie to send me the shell, and they did, cost me about $290 total

so how hard is it to switch a combo to a head.
it has to be the same chassis size , long , medium , short , etc
you have to get the head cabinet , but like removing the amp and putting all the components into the head cab , whats the procedure for that? im thinking of going with a combo now because i usually see them for cheaper then the head

stonedkirby said:
so how hard is it to switch a combo to a head.
it has to be the same chassis size , long , medium , short , etc
you have to get the head cabinet , but like removing the amp and putting all the components into the head cab , whats the procedure for that? im thinking of going with a combo now because i usually see them for cheaper then the head

1. You screw out the four mounting screws on top that hold the amp chassis to the cabinet.

2. You take out the chassis.

3. You place the chassis inside the new cabinet.

4. You screw in the four mounting screws that hold the amp chassis to the cabinet.

Done. :D

All the components and tubes are mounted in a metal chassis that's attached to the cabinet. The compact combo and short head chassis' are the same width, so there's no problem in moving them from cab to cab.

And what abaout the reverb tank and the fan?

So, does anybody here has the correct measurements of the headshell of a Mark IV short head?

Ednolb said:
And what abaout the reverb tank and the fan?

So, does anybody here has the correct measurements of the headshell of a Mark IV short head?

The fan is just mounted in to the back of the front panel. It could be a little different mounting technique than in a combo, I don't really know. The reverb tank is just mounted on it's head with those cushions around the screws to keep it up. It's very easy. The only thing that can complicate are the cable lenghts, since they are much longer on a combo, you'd have to either shorten them yourself, or live with it. :D

I know this sounds crazy, but has anyone ever thought about modifying the combo cab into a head cab by just making it shorter somehow? I mean, cut the side panels down, replace the baffle with a shorter one, and re-attach the bottom.

I'm thinkin' someone crafty could pull it off.

UsrName said:
I know this sounds crazy, but has anyone ever thought about modifying the combo cab into a head cab by just making it shorter somehow? I mean, cut the side panels down, replace the baffle with a shorter one, and re-attach the bottom.

You could, but why ruin it?

phyrexia said:
UsrName said:

You could, but why ruin it?

HEY! HOW DO YOU GET YOUR SIGNAUTRE WRITING SO SMALL?

Ok, thanks alot everyone.

Now I only need the right measurements and I can start.

Latest posts

Back