Mark IV Cleans are sub-standard...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

visualrocker69

Reaction score
...according to these people:
http://www.petrucciforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51610

Are they insane??? :shock:

Oh, btw, I still have a Triaxis. I'm getting amazing cleans with it, but I don't remember being at all dissapointed by the Mark IV's cleans when I had that combo. Is it possible that I will be once I go from TA to Mark IV? :?

visualrocker69 said:
...Are they insane???
In a word YES! I have no problems what so ever getting great clean tones both with single coils and humbuckers. The fact that several of the best jazz guitarists in the world have at some point used the Mark IV speaks volumes about the clean channel.

Yeah, same. Admittedly, I needed a bit of a push in the right direction with respect to gain structure. But... between the forum advice and the manual, it reeeaally didn't take long to get the hang of it. It was R2 that gave me the most trouble, and I sold the combo before I ever got an ideal sound out of it.

miqueas92 said:
I thought it was a school bus !¿1¿1¿!¡!¿1¡!¡!¡!¡!¡¡¿¿¿¿¿

How bout them Cowboy´s

Cant wait for the Super Bowl when they beat the piss out of New England.
For now, I'm claiming them at 10-1 after Thursday. I don't think the Jets have a chance in a million to win. The Dallas offense looks and plays like they are having a blast. All smile's even if they are rarely behind. Then the D is nasty, especially a good Roy William'***** you can hear from the announcers booth. OOOOOOMMMMMMPPPPPPFFFFFFFFF, CCCCCRRRRRAAAAAAACCCCCCKKKKKKK, UUUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHH !!!!!

i always think it's more fun to let people believe what they want to believe.

always let your fingers and your amp do the talking.

i say, let's hear what you got!

Boogiebabies said:
miqueas92 said:

How bout them Cowboy´s

:roll: And then you woke up...:mrgreen:

Boogiebabies said:
miqueas92 said:

How bout them Cowboy´s

For now, I'm claiming them at 10-1 after Thursday. I don't think the Jets have a chance in a million to win. The Dallas offense looks and plays like they are having a blast. All smile's even if they are rarely behind. Then the D is nasty, especially a good Roy William'***** you can hear from the announcers booth. OOOOOOMMMMMMPPPPPPFFFFFFFFF, CCCCCRRRRRAAAAAAACCCCCCKKKKKKK, UUUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHH !!!!!

i never understood your super bowl.. i have seen games but it's so start stop start stop..have you ever seen NRL or AFL .. thats pretty different..

I get great mark IV clean tones. On another note, Dallas beating the Pats in the super bowl is probably the funniest thing I have ever heard. As far as running up the score, I thought the idea was to win. If the other teams D could stop the Pats offense then the score wouldn’t be so high, now would it..... Love the jealousy!

wads3 said:
I get great mark IV clean tones. On another note, Dallas beating the Pats in the super bowl is probably the funniest thing I have ever heard. As far as running up the score, I thought the idea was to win. If the other teams D could stop the Pats offense then the score wouldn’t be so high, now would it..... Love the jealousy!
+1!

wads3 said:

Jealousy ? Who knew the Pat's would stumble into the weakest schedule in years.

The Bilacheaters will get their due. Listening to the media blow them is sickening.

Shep said:
i never understood your super bowl.. i have seen games but it's so start stop start stop..
The stop/start nonsense only happens because of TV. Up until the mid to late 60's there was little if any network TV involvment in the NFL and as such the games were broadcast locally rather then nationally so there were far fewer commercial interruptions. Now it's become BIG BUSINESS, and as such everybody wants a piece of what has become a VERY big pie. Everybodies getting rich except the fans most of whom can't even afford the price of a ticket anymore.

t0aj15 said:
Shep said:
i never understood your super bowl.. i have seen games but it's so start stop start stop..
The stop/start nonsense only happens because of TV. Up until the mid to late 60's there was little if any network TV involvment in the NFL and as such the games were broadcast locally rather then nationally so there were far fewer commercial interruptions. Now it's become BIG BUSINESS, and as such everybody wants a piece of what has become a VERY big pie. Everybodies getting rich except the fans most of whom can't even afford the price of a ticket anymore.

it's sad to see this happen to sport.. the whole deal with sport is that you go along and watch a game and enjoy yourself but now it's gone to commercial and everything has turned to money...

shame

After reading the post on the other forum I tend to agree with them. The MKIV's strength is it's lead channel for sure. I get a really nice clean sound in the R1 channel but there is no chance it is in the league of the lonestar or a blackface Fender. If those amps are 10's the MKIV in my opinion is an 8.5. However those amps can't touch the MKIV lead channel. I agree with the poster in the other forum about the dynamics of the MKIV clean channel. If you're not careful especially when fingerpicking. You get too much nail on a string and the note will come out of the MKIV and slap you upside the head and scare everyone on stage.... the Lonestar or a Blackface will not do that... those two amps will cover your backside and make you sound like a god.... Not the MKIV. I get really nice cleans out of my MKIV but I've had to work at it and they will never be the heavenly cleans of a Lonestar or a Blackface but no amp is perfect.

As for the Super Bowl.... I live in Canada... My team is the BC Lion of the CFL... The oldest professional sports league in north america btw.... Our team had the best record in the history of the team.... Invincible was the term many observers used.... they had 15 players selected to the allstar team and have 3 quarterbacks who would be the number one QB on all but 1 or 2 of the other teams in the league. They went into the Western Final and we watched in disbelief as the wheels fell off... in sport anything can happen. Brady gets injured and now what? Sports can be a humbling experience... trust me.

srf399 said:
After reading the post on the other forum I tend to agree with them. The MKIV's strength is it's lead channel for sure. I get a really nice clean sound in the R1 channel but there is no chance it is in the league of the lonestar or a blackface Fender. If those amps are 10's the MKIV in my opinion is an 8.5. However those amps can't touch the MKIV lead channel. I agree with the poster in the other forum about the dynamics of the MKIV clean channel. If you're not careful especially when fingerpicking. You get too much nail on a string and the note will come out of the MKIV and slap you upside the head and scare everyone on stage.... the Lonestar or a Blackface will not do that... those two amps will cover your backside and make you sound like a god.... Not the MKIV. I get really nice cleans out of my MKIV but I've had to work at it and they will never be the heavenly cleans of a Lonestar or a Blackface but no amp is perfect.
So what you're saying is that a Mark IV's clean channel will show the quality of your playing, while the other 2 will cover it up. That makes the Mark IV the best one as far as I'm concerned.
I want an amp to amplify my playing, not change it.

No... A great player will sound better on a Lonestar clean channel than on a MKIV clean channel. A crappy player will sound 1000 times better on a Lonestar clean channel compared to a MKIV clean channel. Andy Timmons could play any Boogie he wants and he's using a Lonestar for his cleans.... and not to cover up his playing.

You get too much nail on a string and the note will come out of the MKIV and slap you upside the head and scare everyone on stage....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

My Blue Angel will do the same thing, but it sounds really sweet.

Here is my take on it, for what it's not worth....

I have had an A & B Mark IV. I think they are really great amps, but not the be all, end all that most people think they are.

I was able to get incredible tones out of both versions, although, I think I liked the A better.

The Lead channel is kick ***. There is no doubt about it.

The Clean channel is great. I will not deny it.

Reverb is weak, and there is only 1 knob, who thought of this.

R1 & R2 share EQ, so basically (treble and separate gain knobs excluded) it is like the clean channel of my DC-5 with the pull boost.

R2 was pretty much not useable to me. If I wanted to sound like Keef (no disrespect intended, I really like the Stones) I would have stopped practicing 15 years ago and started taking heroin.

Plus....everytime I played either of the versions that I had, I got a different tone. That drove me crazy. Same exact cords, settings, placement in same room, same guitar, different tone????????

I decided to go back to the DC-10 and Blue Angel, and much to my surprise, the Cleans and Leads that I was looking for were right under my nose all the time. Just sitting under the dust cover waiting to be discovered.

It's got to be up to the individual. Granted, I just did this, but I don't think that somebody should trash an amp just because they don't like it, or in my case, got tired of having too many knobs, & not enough brain cells left to figure them out.

I am at the point in my playing where I have decided to go with an amp that puts me where I want to be tone wise. I don't care what somebody else is playing, only about my journey.

I know that the Mark IV is probably the most 'Tweakable' amp out there and I respect that, but it's not what I'm looking for. If you're the type of player that wants unlimmited tones at the tweak of a knob, then the Mark IV is for you, otherwise......

As for football, I'm probably the only American I know who likes soccer more. Let the flamers begin..... :lol:

Latest posts

Back