Mark IV at Low Volumes?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrichman

Reaction score
Hi all...I mostly just play in my home office...a 12'x14' room. I really like the Mark IV's crunch (a la Petrucci). However, I'm curious as to whether the Mark IV is appropriate for low volume playing and recording via mic (SM57). Is a Mark IV "too much" amp for me? I want to capture that sound quality without the window-shattering volume.

Thanks,
Mark

You'll get varying replies on this, but I think it can get great recorded tones at low volumes. Of course you'll have totally different settings than if you're playing live.

Check out the clips Thiago Campos recently posted.

I think without a doubt you can get fantastic tones at low volumes for recording. I used to record with the master at 1 in my older shitty apartment with an SM57 and it sounded huge.

It's not stage volume awesome but you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Platypus said:
I think without a doubt you can get fantastic tones at low volumes for recording. I used to record with the master at 1 in my older sh!t apartment with an SM57 and it sounded huge.

It's not stage volume awesome but you can't have your cake and eat it too.

As long as it sounds better than my 20/20 and ADA MP-1, I'll be happy :)

You've got a 20/20 and an MP-1?! Hey. If you hate them, I'll pay the shipping to take them off your hands....

HAHAHAH!

;)

In my opinion, the MKIV sounds great at low volumes. Don't believe half the **** you hear on this forum for it's coming from only a fraction of people who actually own this amp. Any amp is going to sound better at higher volumes, but that's where the speaker is moving more air in addition to room acoustics, etc. makes a difference. At the end of the day, if you like how it sounds at low volumes, that's all that matters.

Many will say that you shouldn't waste your money, buy a Roland cube or some other kind of tiny practice amp, but if you have the money for a MKIV to be used in a home environment, go for it! Your MKIV, even at lower volumes, is still going to sound better than any old practice amp IMO.

ruso said:
In my opinion, the MKIV sounds great at low volumes. Don't believe half the sh!t you hear on this forum for it's coming from only a fraction of people who actually own this amp. Any amp is going to sound better at higher volumes, but that's where the speaker is moving more air in addition to room acoustics, etc. makes a difference. At the end of the day, if you like how it sounds at low volumes, that's all that matters.

Many will say that you shouldn't waste your money, buy a Roland cube or some other kind of tiny practice amp, but if you have the money for a MKIV to be used in a home environment, go for it! Your MKIV, even at lower volumes, is still going to sound better than any old practice amp IMO.

I just called the only Mesa Boogie dealer near me, and they said they'd have to order me a Mark IV...how the heck am I supposed to know if I like it before I buy it??!!

mrichman said:
I just called the only Mesa Boogie dealer near me, and they said they'd have to order me a Mark IV...how the heck am I supposed to know if I like it before I buy it??!!

Well, word has it that they are ceasing production of the MKIV line, although It hasn't been 100% confirmed. Your best bet is to either find another dealer who has one in stock, someone here on this forum who you are in driving distance to and would be willing to let you try theirs out, or do what I did and just pick one up based on what you have heard of it on professional recordings or sound clips. Being that 5 of my favorite bands use the MKIV amp, I already had an idea on how it would sound. And it's everything I thought it would be and more. If they are indeed out of production, pick one up used here on this forum or worse, on eBay.

At low volume, it sounds like a really good distortion pedal.

Of all the amps I've owned (and there have been a few!) the Mark IV is hands down the best for low volume playing. I get great tones at bedroom volumes.

Herbie the Rad Dorklift said:
Mine sounds especially badass on low volumes. If you're playing metal, just whack the gain up; I use a Tubescreamer too.

Do you find that you actually need the Tubescreamer with all of the gain that the MKIV has on tap?

ruso said:
Herbie the Rad Dorklift said:
Mine sounds especially badass on low volumes. If you're playing metal, just whack the gain up; I use a Tubescreamer too.

Do you find that you actually need the Tubescreamer with all of the gain that the MKIV has on tap?

Definitely not, it has tons of gain, I have never had it beyond 8 on the lead channel.

Tubescreamer doesn't really add 'gain' so to speak - just smooths it out. A little more 'saturation,' maybe. I was an unhappy DR owner until I stepped on my TS-808. Then I was a happy DR owner :)

But it wasn't like I needed more gain than the amp could or would provide - the TS808 gave it cream, not hair...

The Mark IV does sound good at low volumes, using tweed and class A mode really help with being able to do that but get a hotplate as well and all volume worries will dissapear.

Here is a clip of me with it at a nice freindly volume:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxsLxAHwNl8

Back