Mark IV Amp Settings Crash Course

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrichman

Reaction score
Could someone please give me a crash course in the various settings and their effect on overall tone?

I understand Full vs. Tweed Power, but I don't really understand or hear the difference between Simul-Class, Class A, Triode, Pentode, etc.

I've got a Mark IV widebody combo, which I run through my Mesa 2x12 recto cab, and I generally play at low volumes in my home.

Thanks,
Mark

The differences are less apparent at low volumes. Here's a greatly oversimplified explanation.

Class A lowers the wattage so you get less volume.

Tweed power lowers the internal voltage so you also get less volume and a softer feel.

Pentode is tighter and more immediate so it makes chugga chugga better.

Basically what I'm after is tight, brutal, articulate, and punchy without the woof at low volumes. Perhaps I need to throw a Maxon OD808 in front of it?

mrichman said:
Basically what I'm after is tight, brutal, articulate, and punchy without the woof at low volumes. Perhaps I need to throw a Maxon OD808 in front of it?

I'm a huge supporter of Tubscreamers with every amp EXCEPT a Mark. I just don't think it needs it and in fact negatively effects it IMO - removes the bass and adds mids that aren't needed.

How long have you owned the amp? I'm thinking you just don't have the tone and eq tweaked to your liking yet. My Mark IV can sound like complete **** or pure magic with even a 1/16" move of a slider knob. I'm not home right now else I'd post a pic of my settings. It's brutal at any volume.

Leave it on Simul-Class, Pentode and Full Power btw for full aggression.

So you bought a Corvette for the sole purpose of driving to the end of your driveway to get the mail. Coulda saved some money there.

Both my Mark IV and V sound incredible at low volumes. On the other hand my Triple Rec does not sound so hot at tv volumes... it really needs to be cranked.

I've had my Mark IV for several years now and I'm still discovering sounds / tones that I didn't know were in there. I love the option of playing this amp in my home at low volume and getting great tone. In most instances I play on tweed power, triode, class A. If I want to FEEL the tone I start by going to full power and if that is not enough I go to pentode and simulclass and then adjust volume based on how much sonic mayhem I wish to create.

I spent a lot of time figuring out which of the push / pull knobs to engage and how to set the presence controls on each channel. Also the treble is at the heart of most settings in terms of getting the amp into high gain territory or backing it down into a less sizzling sound.

Whenever and wherever I discover a sample setting I write it down and give it a try when I have the time. As was mentioned the slightest adjust can make a huge difference. Along the way I have dialed in some amazing tones AND I have also dialed up some really awful tones as well. Don't get discouraged; find a "go to" setting that you can always rely on and then tweak from there as a reference point.

For me, the rotary knobs are the "feel" section of the amp, whereas the GEQ is the sound. The rotary bass knob is pure flubbiness in attaining Metaltone, so turn it way down or off and get your bass from the slider on the GEQ. The middle slider will make the most drastic change in your overall sound compared to any other knob on the whole amp, but in general the GEQ on any Boogie is the key to your tone, so get a good tone with it off and spice it up with the GEQ. When practicing alone or to a CD I have the middle slider lower than when playing with a group. I can get a decent tone with my Mark IV at low volume easily but it doesn't transfer to a loud volume without turning the treble/presence down.

I just picked up my first MkIV also, a Wide Body with Black Shadow C90. I agree it is extremely picky about having perfect settings to sound its best. It is different from my almighty MkIII in that the MkIII can power through almost ANYTHING to sound like the sonic version of Excalibur with enough master volume, but the MKIV will not. It needs to be dialed in to shine.

That said, I have discovered a new kind of ecstasy in the sweet old school lead tones made possible by Class A/Tweed Power with the Harmonics switch engaged and no Graphic EQ on R2. It especially gels with my Charvel 475 with a decidedly non-Old School Duncan PATB Distortion pickup, which is just hot enough to send that channel into a FRENZY! I'm getting gorgeous lead tones that remind me very much of of Neal Schon's on Journey - Evolution......nice!! The slightly spongey response is a new experience for me, although I have played one previous amp (a homemade special) in the past with similar qualities, with the big difference being that it had to be cranked to 9 to reach nirvana, while the MKIV can reach it at far more comfortable levels.

MkIV475Exo.jpg

I also agree with others that R2 isn't completely successful for real metal crunch rhythm, although the Lead channel eats that task for breakfast. I don't believe in using tone pedals for Mark amps, but my MXR 10-band EQ would be fine for boosting R2 a bit in a live situation. The Lead channel of the MkIV is exceptionally smooth and a nice variation from my other amps. I'm already scoping out Mesa 1x12 or 2x12 cabs (or maybe an Orange 2x12?!) to flesh out the MkIV's sound. Looking forward to exploring the Lead channel at FULL power! 8)

Hey SonVolt, I would really like to see your Mark VI setting as well. I too recently purchased a Mark VI and greatly appreciate any help.

Latest posts

Back