Mark IV 1st Problem, maybe tubes...please help!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark IX

Reaction score
Hi there I'm an happy user of the mesa mark iv, never had problem until now, yesterday I just came back from 5 day gig away from home (saturday I've another gig), and today while I was playing I've heared my amp less louder with the same setting, after a couple of hours of playing, while I was in led channel mode, the amp started to loss volume, and get noisy, immediatley I've looked at the back of the amp and the tubes were on fire, all the tube componets were red, so I've shutted everything off. Immediately I've started to read the manual, discovering that mildly shorted tube may be my problem, infact as tha manual says "because there is no physical short inside the tube, switch to stand by for a while should solve the problem temporarily" Infact I've turned my amp on after an half hours and it worked ok. what the hell is happened?

Does someone experienced the same problem?

anyway I've ordere a full retube set from doug's tube

P.S.

I've never touched the tubes until now, they became so hot that hurts...is this normal? and I can't see the blue effect when I switch from standby to on...also the inside filament is hot/yellow

Please help

probably a preamp tube... peck each one with a pencil and listen for weird noises or for the noise to go away when doing so... Happened to me once. I had a bunch of white noise in every channel and it kept getting louder. Ended up being my reverb tube...

MusicManJP6 said:
probably a preamp tube... peck each one with a pencil and listen for weird noises or for the noise to go away when doing so... Happened to me once. I had a bunch of white noise in every channel and it kept getting louder. Ended up being my reverb tube...

Dude, he just said all of his power tubes were redplating. So I don't really think that it was a preamp tube. Could be, but there's definitively a problem with the powertubes as well.

How many/which ones were redplating? And how old are they?

Slap new tubes in there and if they all work and glow normally (meaning the power tubes ALL have a nice blue haze when switched off standby) you should be good to go.

Mesa makes(or is it 'made?') some tough equipment so it probably survived.

Make sure your SPEAKER cable is not shorted out and that you are in fact using a speaker cable and not a guitar cord.

Greg

All the tubes are the original mesa I've bougth the amp new in april 2006, never changed nothing, I hope it still in warranty, What I've noticed is that the tubes no longer has the blue haze from standby to on, I can't remember well wich one was on fire, I've shutted the amp off too quickly :shock: maybe the center ones, and they are very very hot, so hot that hurts...is this normal? anyway the problem disappeared now, I've played an half hour, and everything was ok :? anyway I've ordered a complete retube

One strange thing is happened, I've put a new set of mesa str 430 in socket 1 and 4 (the external one) so in class A the amp should use only this tubes, this way the glow reappear, but when I switch to simul class, using all tubes, it disappear again

my speaker cable is ok

Latest posts

Back