Mark III revisited or "Oh yeah, I remember this thing&

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoner

Reaction score
I'm getting to spend some quality time with my MkIII lately and really have been knocked kinda sideways by this rig. My observations if anyone gives a rat's. The biggest thing I'm getting is the incredible "pop" and individual note definition that is present, even at higher preamp settings - not at all like the fizzy saturated preamp tone I have become accustomed (addicted?) to while using modeling amps, "high-gain" amps and processors live over the last few years. I am realizing how lazy and sloppy I have become (as a player mostly :lol: ), and have been totally left hanging several times attempting to play "easy" stuff without really trying due to the clarity of the tone. It is truly inspiring to have so much control over exactly how a note is shaped by just your touch, and still be able to ride on that rush of dynamic power and sustain that is right behing your pick attack. No more non-dynamic, no-sustaining mosquito tone! In the past, I have often remarked about different amps; "That sounds like an old Marshall" or "That one has alot of Voxy flavor". When I plugged into the MkIII, the first thing I noticed was, "Hey, this sounds like my Strat, only louder!" It didn't strike me as "sounding" like anything, really, I just got the flavor of whatever guitar I plugged into it without the amp imparting a color of its own. It became clear to me that I had found a true "amplifier" and it was gonna give me exactly what I put into it right down to the last pick scrape and poorly fretted note. I distictly recall bailing on the old technology I had been using for 10 years (Mesa Mk's, Fender Bandmaster, Pro Reverb, etc) about 10 years ago and diving head first into the land of the super high-gain preamp. I didn't get it then and didn't have the chops to deal with what I percieved as a somewhat "wimpy " sound as compared to the stuff that was coming onto the market then. My playing has improved some since. I'm playing a lot cleaner these days, but with more angst behind it, and the MKIII is letting ALL of what I put into my playing come through loud and clear. This is turning into a very welcome trip down memory lane. Peace. Z

We represent the lollipop guild, the lollipop guild, the lollipog guild, we represent the lollipop guild and we'd like to welcome you to munchkin land.

Or:

Chain smoking just to see Jesus or Jimi Hendrix talk to you in smoke form.

Welcome back! I use my Mark III primarily with 4 different guitars. I got a nice complement recently from a guy who told me he could CLEARLY hear the difference between each guitar I played. Stay with it!!

The MkIII is definitely one of those amps that will let your guitar's characteristics shine through. I couldn't imagine using some sci-fi fuzzy modeling amp in place of such a great beast as this!! I'll take a classic design and real tubes over modeling any day. :D Remember all those hot shot racks everybody "had to have" in the '80s? So where are they now?? Ummmm, yeah. :oops: I don't think anyone will give a **** about Line 6 Vettas in the not too distant future either.

I have been away on a trip and just got home for the first time in about 10 days today and spent about 2 hours with the MkIII, truly, no other amp has ever inspired me like it does, it really makes me play better. 8) You can't play your best when you're not digging your tone, but when you are inspired by your tone, you can pull off licks, etc. you didn't think you had in you.

Latest posts

Back