mark III Preamp tube Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldtop

Reaction score
I use a Mark III (Red Stripe) combo (c90 speaker) w/ a thiele cab (EV speaker) combination. I play mostly classic rock/blues style on a Tele and Les Paul. I'm looking for some good suggestions on preamp tubes to try. I use Mesa 12ax7s in the preamp and Mesa 6L6 454s and EL34 442s in the poweramp section.javascript:emoticon(':lol:')

It is a mater of taste. Different tubes sound different and it seems no two people agree you just buy a few or borrow some and try and see what you like. I have Amperex Bugle Boys in one and Telefunkens in another.

To me, a lot of this is hype. I know my ears are not that sensitive. The main things is the pre-amp tube quiet and of sufficient output by design - ie AT7 vs AX7 etc. The tubes are important, but I look at it this way, first, 12AX7 or 12AT7 or 12AY7, then are they microphonic or not. from there, I don't think brand is crucial. I stick with all MESA pre-amps, but i juggle the 12AX7 and AT7 in V1 and V4.

BWK

Latest posts

Back