Mark IIc+ with no EQ question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ

Reaction score
An outboard rack eq would be a much better eq. I wouldn't let the EQ not being there sway your judgement.

I would buy it for $ 1500 just for parts. :D

But seriously, the lack of EQ and Reverb on any C+ diminishes the value simply because they lack the options. For example, a 1963 Corvette may sell for $ 50-100K. With the Z06 option it would sell for $ 250-350K. It does not diminish what you have, options only augment the value.

I got my piece w. Simul and Reverb for peanuts compared to what I should have paid.

I have never played a C+ other than mine, so I have nothing to compare to as far as Mesa EQ vs. pedal EQ is concerned. I would imagine they would sound close, but the pedals have much cheaper material and the sound would not be as clean. I have no idea how an expensive John Petrucci-like EQ would sound vs. the onboard mesa eq.

Suffice to say, even with no EQ, crap tubes, and gain reduction mods from the previous owner, it is still the sweetest thing I have ever heard.

One could also go with a Mark III faceplate to add the EQ right? I know it won't add value but it sure does add to functionality IMO.

Greg

If the amp you have is MKIIC+ , I would call Mesa and ask them if they can add an EQ (or an authorized Boogie tech). The tone would be amazing. If they can add an EQ it would be an investment in the amp. The name, MKIIC+ isn't what makes it valuable. It's the tone. A rack mount unit would be fine and a pretty penny for a HIGH quality EQ unit. I'de add the EQ yesterday. If I could afford it of course. If Mesa can do it. IF IF IF....
Anyway, I've seen MKIIC+ heads (with EQ) sell for $4000 on Ebay. There are many musicians (Hetfield, Hemmett are just a couple) who buy them for recording. Only 1500 were ever made.
Does yours have the 100/60 watt Simul-Class/Class A switch ?

Guitar Ike said:
MKIIC+ isn't what makes it valuable. It's the tone.

Sorry to tell it but, that's not right. It's really the Name. The Original IIC+. It's just the collector factor which makes the amp so highly desirable and in this case also expensive! Depending sound and diffrence between an upgraded IIC->IIC+ and an original IIC+ there is no diffrence quoting Mike B. But they don't reach such a price! For example. The $4000 DRG hardwood Mesa IIC+ sold on Ebay. There was also an upgraded IIC+ with the same options, but a 1x12" Hardwood Combo sold for $2400. That's almost half of the price! So half of the amp is the tone money you pay the rest of them money is the recognition you play an original IIC+. And hey! It works! There are lot of people out there who play and collect those amps.

Simul Class Mark IIC+ combo with no EQ.

How much does no EQ affect an amps sound capability?
Considering stomp box EQ's can be used.

Also does it affect the value much?

+1 to BB's post. Here in Europe those amps are very desirable. Last year i tried to sell my DRX IIC+ and there was no chance of getting more than 1700 Euro for it. But an DRGX IIC+ sold two months later for 4000 Euros! To be fair it was a hardwood Combo. But still a fully loaded which makes the price. But i also recognize that Heads sell for more than combos here in Europe! That's insane! You pay less for a combo and get the speaker for free :lol:

But i used my DRX Head with an external EQ and it was okay for me. Didn't had an Amp to direct compare it to the original EQ from Mesa. I would rather save the extra money and buy this beast any time again. I miss her :( . But i was young and needed the money :lol:

gts said:
Wow talk about raising a thread from the grave :shock:

SpongeRob said:
Guitar Ike said:
MKIIC+ isn't what makes it valuable. It's the tone.
Sorry to tell it but, that's not right. It's really the Name. <snip>
Oh no here we go with this crap again.... :roll:

:mrgreen: Sorry!!!!! Just my two cents on this! But it's what i found out about "valuable". Didn't want to start another discuss about that. So forget it. Upgraded or original. Beside some small factors like the PT there "should" be no differences. That's of course what Mike B. says. But i never had the chance to A/B compare them. So, i will leave this Theme alone.

Btw i didn't realise this topic is 3 years old :lol: Next time i hopefully get my attention on this. :mrgreen:

I just read that the Mark V 's IIC+ circuit was based on a non-eq original. Apparently, Mike B. collected all the non-eq IIC+'s he could, and eventually kept only one--the best of the bunch. This amp was put through the ringers, and ended up being the model they used for the V. The difference was a cap, I believe.

That's correct it was Doug West. I prefer the non-EQ, it's just my taste. The EQ version sounds incredible, but I prefer the NON-EQ cauz i'm crazy. That means that I'm obsessive compulsive about my Mark IIC+ and want nothing to interfere with my tone chain, especially an EQ. I repeat the EQ is incredible, just not for a nut like me. I have to have it pure. My Mark V has never had the EQ turned on, I think I will play forever without it. Again, it's just me. Don't blame me for saying the EQ version sucks, cauz I did not say that. And P.S., this is Amereeeeka, we can discuss over and over the same subject, especially for those who have never engaged in it before.

Latest posts

Back