Mark IIC vs Mark IIC+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuna141

Reaction score
I have been contemplating (I should say procrastinating) having Mike B. mod my Mark IIC to a IIC+ version, but am somehwat reluctant to spend the $300- $375 it would cost me.

Has anyone ever had their IIC moidded to a C+? Was it worth it? Can you describe the tone differences?

Thanks!

I had my c converted and the biggest difference is in overall "drive" of the amp, especially in lead mode. Any other difference was difficult for me to detect. Now maybe in a side by side A/B comparison test, other differences may be detected.

My opinion, if you want more drive (hotter lead), do it.

The IIC is more similar in lineage to the MK I, IIA, IIB etc. The IIC+ is where it all starts. After the + design Mesa's could do more than Santana and shocked the music world with tone like John Petrucci and Metallica.
Have you ever heard anyone rave about there stock IIC? The dilemma is, that there are not too many original IIC's left unmodified.

Thanks for the input guys.

Recordmusic, for you, do you feel that the C to C+ conversion was worth the cost?

Did you notice an increase in the reverb (I was told that there would be), in addition to the change in gain?

"Recordmusic, for you, do you feel that the C to C+ conversion was worth the cost?"
Yes, I wanted more drive and it has that. Plus, the value of the amp goes up by more than the cost of the upgrade. So it is worth it from that perspective.

"Did you notice an increase in the reverb (I was told that there would be), in addition to the change in gain?"
My reverb was not working correctly and I had that repaired at the same time, so can't say much about that . . . Except that boogie reverb is not like fender amp reverb, which to many, is the best.

Hi !
I´ve got nine different Boogies, and among them is two C ´s and one C+. All three are diffrent sounding, but a fully loaded C is far more usable to me than the C+ with the same specs.

The C+ is more of a heavy metal style pre-amp gain sort of thing. The C´s both "push" in a different way.

On the othe hand, What I really like about boogies is the santana thing someone mentioned. Low gain sustain like the Allmans etc. is not that easy with a c+...

Good luck !

boogie-boy said:
Hi !
I´ve got nine different Boogies, and among them is two C ´s and one C+. All three are diffrent sounding, but a fully loaded C is far more usable to me than the C+ with the same specs.

The C+ is more of a heavy metal style pre-amp gain sort of thing. The C´s both "push" in a different way.

On the othe hand, What I really like about boogies is the santana thing someone mentioned. Low gain sustain like the Allmans etc. is not that easy with a c+...

Good luck !

Sure it is. Run the Vol 1 at 8 and the lead drive at 8 and turn off the grahpic. Treble 5-6, Bass 2-4, Mid 5 and Bam !!!! Oye Coma Va.

I have two C+'s one set up for a Santana sound the other for High Gain. The amps aren't the same either as one has simul and Eq and the other doesn't. They can do either of course it depends on tubes and speakers just how close you want to get. They sound like different amps and both sound terrific.

recordmusic said:

I really don't see the C or C+ as a heavy metal amp. Maybe I am just in the dark.

My C+ has the heaviest metal sounds I ever heard. The darkest deathest meatiest screamingest evil no prisoners hot psychokiller fire starting metal tones on the planet.... no lie...

I think the boys in Metalica helped promote the IIC+ as a metal amp.

I love the clean channel on my C and the Lead channel is great for leads - unbelievable sustain and harmonics are rich and seem to jump out when holding notes.

The down side of my C is a weak reverb, the lead channel can be very harsh at times, and the gain a little on the weak side if the Ch1 volume is truend down below 8 or so and the trebles/bright switches not pulled out.

Sounds like the + conversion might be worthwhile for me...

Dasein said:
recordmusic said:

I really don't see the C or C+ as a heavy metal amp. Maybe I am just in the dark.

My C+ has the heaviest metal sounds I ever heard. The darkest deathest meatiest screamingest evil no prisoners hot psychokiller fire starting metal tones on the planet.... no lie...

Agreed! I tell players it's how you wished your Recto sounded.

Latest posts

Back