Mark IIC+ opinions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luca79

Reaction score
Well, it's been a while since I'm looking around for a nice IIC+ to buy.

To you all experts: I was wondering what are the key things to look at when evaluating various examples, and if there are options (graphic EQ comes to mind) that makes the amp more desiderable and better sounding.

A little education on IIC+'s needed, thanks a lot!

hey,
it really depends on your needs and taste, and what kind of style you are playing. For me, I would rather GEQ than not, reverb is not a deal breaker, but that's me. If I want to save some money, I buy a IIC and get it upgraded. I always like heads better than combos. Whatever you buy, figure a couple hundred in for service at mesa, unless it was recently serviced. There is ton on this subject in this section, so have fun reading, but still feel free to ask questions

scott

GEQ shouldn't be a deal breaker. You could always put one in the loop.
The EQ can add 500-600 to the total amount you pay for the amp as well. The amp will still be every bit a C+.

DaveP said:
The EQ can add 500-600 to the total amount you pay for the amp as well. The amp will still be every bit a C+.
not necessarily. the GEQ IIC+'s had a larger cap at the end of the EQ circuit that gave them more sub-lows and a little more sag. also, youd have to find an EQ that could affect the same 5 frequencies the boogie EQ does. and it's a lot more convenient to have the EQ built into the amp and not have to add more cables/pedals/extra stuff into the signal path.

rocknroll9225 said:
DaveP said:
not necessarily. the GEQ IIC+'s had a larger cap at the end of the EQ circuit that gave them more sub-lows and a little more sag. also, youd have to find an EQ that could affect the same 5 frequencies the boogie EQ does. and it's a lot more convenient to have the EQ built into the amp and not have to add more cables/pedals/extra stuff into the signal path.

There is a difference in having the EQ switched in or out which removes the EQ from the circuit altogether. Without the EQ engaged (in the out mode) it actually sounds tighter.
So having the EQ engaged gives it that sag.
Regarding the EQ having to be the exact frequency's, a 200 dollar Empress parametric will get you close enough. But there are those that just have to have it, either way they both sound great.

When speaking to Mike B. once, he specifically recommended the Presonus EQ3B to use in the loop on a Non-EQ C+ amp.

Hi,
to my opinion, I would say :

1/ servicing at Mesa is not a "nice to have", it's a must have, reliability wise
2/ reverb is not a deal breaker
3/ nonEQ is more focused and focused than the EQ version (i own both versions with similar tubes configuration),
tone can be reshaped by using an appropriate EQ.
4/ H or S ? H has definitely more headroom (i never had the opportunity to play a D)

:roll:

Thanks for the input guys!

I should have said that my music genre is classic rock in the vintage vein.
I used to own a MKIII blue stripe a few years ago, and I remember that I was always using the built in GEQ with a sort of "V" shape, I much preferred the sound that way for the music I play.
Without the EQ engaged, there were too much mids and the sound was not as "wide".

But if an EQ pedal in the fx loop has the same results, then I'm not forced to look at a GEQ loaded MKIIC+ I guess.

Is the IIC+ tone/feel/natural EQ a whole different thing compared to the MKIII ?

"Is the IIC+ tone/feel/natural EQ a whole different thing compared to the MKIII ?"

Without opening a can of worms as this has been debated at length. The only way you will be able to tell is to experience the C+ first hand.
Is does feel different and more organic, 3D if you will. Once you play one you will know.,

Hi there,
MKIIC+ is one animal, MKIII is different one.
The only way to compare both is playing both.
I don't know how to explain it, C+ has this special thing , more focused, more instant etc.

In one word, a "magical amp" as Mark Snyder said in Guitar Afficionado #2 :p

DaveP said:
"Is the IIC+ tone/feel/natural EQ a whole different thing compared to the MKIII ?"

Without opening a can of worms as this has been debated at length. The only way you will be able to tell is to experience the C+ first hand.
Is does feel different and more organic, 3D if you will. Once you play one you will know.,
+1

Luca79 said:

Looks solid to me..

I've been going through Marks a lot.. I started with a V (which I love), went to a III - red stripe which I liked as well... I recently picked up a IIC+ (converted) with GEQ/Simul-Class and I love it.. I got it dialed in, and I was totally blown away by it, and haven't even thought about another amp since... It has a very organic feel to it and pick response is second to none.. It's my favorite amp by far that I've owned.

Do you think Simulclass and GEQ are a big part of the reason why you like your MKIIC+ so much, or is it awesome regardless of those options?

Luca79 said:
Do you think Simulclass and GEQ are a big part of the reason why you like your MKIIC+ so much, or is it awesome regardless of those options?

I personally only go for boogie's with the GEQ.... I'm sure the non GEQ's are great, I personally like the convenience of being to shape my tone without any 3rd party EQs... I like to keep it simple.. just my personal preference though.

Thanks!

Anyone else has comments on the one for sale in the link I posted above please?

Back