mark iic mods

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mejoshee

Reaction score
first post! wee!!! :D just got a used iic (sn is 122XX) off of the 'bay. i know i paid a little much for it, but then it is probably one of the more random configurations of the iic you can find--combo, no eq, 60/100, reverb.

so, as the title says, i'd like to know some more info about mark iic mods. i live in the bay area so a drive up to petaluma isn't out of the question, but i kinda want to way the economic toll it might take and whether or not it's worth it. i know this goes round and round about how it sounds, but mostly i want to know what the individual direct-through-mesa mod prices are for the + mod, eq installation, and simulclass. i should probably speak to mike b. when i get a chance, but i want other's thoughts on this beforehand so i don't call without at least some idea of the situation.

i imagine the simulclass will be far the most expensive because of the transformer and am wondering if i can live w/o it. the eq i'm leaning towards mostly because of the tonal flexibility it should provide and also i need to know if they'll (or rather, mike b'll) install a footswitchable jack for eq triggering. i'm waffling on the + mod since i think the stock sound decent as it is :eek: but am mostly concerned about the "overloaded preamp" issues that it's suppose to cure. that would make it worth it to me in case i ever use a really crazy daisy chain of preamps or drives. "smoother" od will be acceptable since i can always add back a little more grit via a keeley mod ds-1.

as far as initial impressions, i really really like the clean. very fender, indeed, and with a little more warmth than i'd expect from a solid state rectifier. with tweaking you can switch back and forth to a very good metal lead channel, like some newer john petrucci rhythm tones (even if they were done on a mark iv). i need to change out the tubes for sure (i should post somewhere about who i've bought from now a couple times and my experience w/ tung-sol reissues) and have it taken to a tech for a once over.

i notice there's some hum on the lead channel. not sure how much it's supposed to have since i'm comparing it to a marshall clone i handwired that's dead quiet even w/ some pedals in front. to put it into perspective, though, a marshall super lead only has 2 gain stages and no fx look. i've built a couple amps, but i don't know how jumbled a mesa is inside so i'll take a look at it myself and see if i can find the culprit(s). i will probably need to change the filter caps and other electrolytics in it.

so yeah, lots of new goodies going on in my garage. please share with me your thoughts. :wink:

i'd leave her alone....replace the tubes and caps if she needs it, but i'd put a Boss GE7 in the loop and call it done. Here's one on Ebay for $50....

Ebay Boss GE7 <-click

cc65_12.JPG

Congratulations on your purchase.
I've had my loaded C combo for many years. Great amp.

Awesome clean and great lead tones - very cutting and "in your face". Not smooth like a C+ or IV's lead tone. I much prefer the lead tone of the C to the + or IV. IMO, the only place I find the C lacking is in palm muting/chugging and with it had slightly more gain at times. However, the you can get more gain out of it by bringing the graphic EQ bands up, which I assume you could also do if you use an external EQ pedal in the loop.

but am mostly concerned about the "overloaded preamp" issues that it's suppose to cure.

I've never noticed an issue when using my loop. I even ran a Triaxis Preamp into its effect return loop for years without any issues - it sounded great. So, I assume that the loop only becomes an issue with certain effects.

The EQ is very useful in the C. I agree with Acorkos' suggestion. I wouldn't spend the extra $$ to have a graphic EQ installed - just buy an EQ pedal and you should be fine.

Latest posts

Back