Mark II/III/IV Differences

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

droogie

Reaction score
New Boogie addict first post.

I recently bought a Mark IIB combo and love it, but not the weight (4th floor walk-up). Looked into buying a Mark IV head to separate the weight from the cab. Loved the sound, but a little beat up to buy.

Found a Mark III red stripe 60 watter for half the price of the IV on the bay. Seems like the III is a different animal altogether. Easy to get Metallica and love the saturated lead channel but none of the channels have the midrange body that the II and IV have. There is sort of a built-in V shape EQ (without the graphic). Is this generally true of III's or particular to my amp? Would different tubes solve this to some extent (currently EH throughout)?
Thanks.

The Mark III has a more aggresive sound than the IV or II but I wouldn't say it has less midrange. Just a different feel, more nasty sounding. Slightly less refined than the IV.

IIIs have a much more aggressive midrange than IVs in my experience. Easily adjusted with the Graphic, tho'. A lot of the Mark IV's more aggressive mids can be dialed in with the Presence controls, but it doesn't sound (to me) as "organic" as the III. YMMV.
A Mark IV head with the foot switch attached is going to weigh about as much as a Mark III combo with the C90.

Latest posts

Back