Mark-4 Questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allegron

Reaction score
Hi All. I Recently joined this forum ,and am looking forward to gaining insight regarding Mesa products that many of you have knowledge of. I currently own a Simul-class 2:90;a Recto Recording Pre-amp; two sattelite cabs with Tone Tubbys; and a Mark-4. (1991 I think) I'll start by asking a few questions regarding the Mark-4.
1: Does anyone know what the 1/4 inch jack on the chasis near a transformer is for? 2: I never understood why Mesa put two 4 ohm speaker jacks next to the 8 ohm jack for the internal 12 inch EV.What should I do to use my 8 ohm sattelite cabs as extensions to the Mark-4?
3:When I'm in "Tweed" mode I notice buzzing/hum; When in "Full Power" mode the noise drops off considerably. Is this related to the fan?
I haven't changed tubes in quite awhile,but after I replace a couple pots and the rotary mode select switch, I'm re-tubing the amp.(Svetlana 6L6s and JJ 12ax7s from Eurotubes.) Thanks for any info, Allegron.

Regarding the speaker outs: If you run (1x) 8ohm speaker, you should plug it into the "8ohm" out. If you run (1x) 4ohm, or (2x) 8ohm, you should plug into the "4ohm" out(s).

that isn't the right mannal.......you have a mk ivA.... the 1/4 jack is a send to your satlite amp..it switchs the EQ on and off..so if you switch your eg off on your amp it switch the eq off on the satelite...

I contacted Mesa Tech Support yesterday to order some parts and regarding my three questions: 1: Yes the 1/4 inch jack on the chasis is for EQ switching a sattelite cab. 2:Regarding the two 4-ohm speaker jacks: Of course you can hook up two 4-ohm speakers but in the case of using 8-ohm speakers: plug the internal 8-ohm EV into the first 4-ohm jack, then plug in an 8-ohm extension speaker into the other 4-ohm jack. 3: They told me- to find out where the hum is coming from: Diconnect the fan;try swapping out tubes etc; the process of elimination;maybe a tube problem... Anyway in the near future I'll try this process. Allegron.

If you like having your Mark IV up and running do not use 2 cabs that are 4 ohms each into the 4 ohm inputs. The amp is not 2 ohm stable. You will want to use the 4 ohm jacks for running a pair of 8 ohm cabs or the internal 8 ohm speaker and an extension cab of 8 ohms. Also, it is not a good idea to run the internal speaker and a 4 ohm cab. I think that it would be nice to be able to run a pair of 4 ohm cabs but that is asking a bit much. It would have been nice if they had designed it to run the 8 ohm load as a pair of 16 ohm cabs though. It kind of limits you to your speaker cabinet choices. I think this may be one of the few faults of the Mark IV. I prefer my Marshalls for this point. But then again, a JCM800 and a JMP are hard to contend with anyway.

What about plugging the Mark IV's two 4-ohm outs into the two 4-ohm inputs on a Mesa Standard 4x12? I can't remember how the wiring works on that cab.

I can't think of a particular reason for this (any advantage over the single 8-ohm?), more curious than anything.

I believe that still presents a 2 ohm load that you cannot support with the Mark IV or many other amps for that matter...

Back