Mark 1 Information Please

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary C

Reaction score
OK., so here it is for inspection & comments. I picked up this Mark 1 some 10 + years ago. Ser. # A1487 if I read the images of the original label that is missing, correctly. There is a scribed CB001 that was added to the chasis at some time just above where the original was & this can be seen in one of the photos. It was in the wood cabinet/combo configuration. It also came with what was explained to me as the original head. You can see them both together in one of the pictures. Also included was the foot switch for the modified amplifier. I use modified loosely, since my information on the exact details is next to none. I did take it to Mesa Boogie in Petaluma when I first got it, and after the checkup was sort of showed the door for having it in the first place. I understand that it was modified, and only wanted to get things checked out & repaired to specs if needed. I must say I am fine with Mesa not being pleased with the amp, just that it was not me that did anything but purchase the beast. I must also say that at first I wasn't sure if I could handle anything that breathed so much fire, I was sure I would blow out a window or two. After visiting this great site, I am now able to use this monster, although I tread lightly. I also must say I went from a Princeton Reverb ('64 & '72), to the Mark 1 which is quite a large step. I write this after connecting with (zebpedersen ), and thanks for your help, so here we are.

I have a link to Photobucket (http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af143/spoonbreath2/IMG_2507.jpg )
with some pictures so some of the real Boogie aficionados can help me with actually pinpointing what I do have. I do know it seems to have come as a head, possibly no reverb, and the Celestion G12-80 speaker is added. I am not a player in a band, just tinker, but this has blown me away as to how it picks up the expression of your fingers as apposed to the Princetons. Guitars are '52 reissue Tele, '74 Strat. And that is not to say the Princetons are bad, just that this is a whole new game. So take a look at the link for Photobucket and send me some love, Gary.

Sorry, the link should probably be this instead of just the one photo
http://s1002.photobucket.com/albums/af143/spoonbreath2/?albumview=slideshow&track=share_email_album_view_click
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also forgot to say there is now a footswitch as in one of the photos, and input 2 is where that goes & it does work.

It's got the SSR, or Super Sixty Reverb codes. It's hard to tell from the photos, but the reverb preamp tube may have been turned into a foot switchable gain
boost. I would call Mike B. and see if he knows anything about it, unless he's the one that showed you the door.

Those back panel controls with a whole new set of tone pots...does any of that circuitry look like Mark II-esque? My guess was that someone has - probably in the early Eighties or late 70's - tried to 'upgrade' this amp to keep up with the new cutting edge product.

Boogiebabies- I am not sure who the upset person was, since I wasn't getting the warm fuzzie treatment,I didn't hang out. So I may try them again. I had to replace the reverb tank myself, they said the wrong type of screws were used in mounting it, so I got the tank from Mesa, took it home & swapped it out. I didn't mind, just wasn't spending a lot of time chatting. I understand their distain, someone may have used a "seconds" cabinet, from the dumpster or such. I was told as I was about to exit that one of the techs had played it & thought it was cool, but again no time to chat. Hey, it's still some sort of Mark 1, can't be all bad.

Mesa has been great to deal with over many years. Mike B. and Customer Service have been stellar but it may
have been different when Mike B. left for a while. I can't remember when it was, but I don't think Randall Smith would have been too interested in
tech repair work in his absence.

Boogiebabies, I'm positive the person I saw was not Randall, I've seen pictures of him, also more than likely it wasn't Mike B. either. Just someone who had an issue. Because I am an hour away from Petaluma, I will go there when it is time for a tune-up, although I will have it back in the head for that.

Back