Major Difference between Nomad 55 and 45?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lespaul72

Reaction score
Hey all,
I stumbled across a Nomad 55 for sale at a local music store. really loved it.
Did some research and learned of the el84 loaded 45...
Question is, since a/b ing these two side by side will be impossible, i'm wondering if there is a huge difference in tone? I really don't care about "clean headroom" because the band I'm in, we mic our amps. Just wondering if the difference in 6l6 and el 84 is a big one...
I'll definitely snag one from ebay, just don't know which one...
Thanks in advance

lespaul72 said:
Hey all,
I stumbled across a Nomad 55 for sale at a local music store. really loved it.
Did some research and learned of the el84 loaded 45...
Question is, since a/b ing these two side by side will be impossible, i'm wondering if there is a huge difference in tone? I really don't care about "clean headroom" because the band I'm in, we mic our amps. Just wondering if the difference in 6l6 and el 84 is a big one...
I'll definitely snag one from ebay, just don't know which one...
Thanks in advance

Certainly lots of difference in those two tubes . EL84 is like the little brother to the EL34 . I think they are fantastic . It comes down to personal taste . I prefer the ELs over 6L6s but that may not be the case with you . Do your research .

They're like apples and oranges so you're really going to try and have to sample at least an amp that's EL84 before you make the call. I tend to like EL34's and 84s more than 6L6's but I love tight complex midrange crunch which they have in spades.

It's all about personal preference!

I believe there is a switch in the 55 that allows you to swap out the 6L6's and put it EL-34's. The 34's will break up a little sooner. I do LOVE my Nomad 45 though. The Nomad has the bonus of the Extreme switch on the back of the amp. Bone crushing gain. What type of music do you play?

Thanks for the help... I know the ideal situation would be to test these two side by side. However, I live in the middle of nowhere and there are no Nomad 45's sitting around to test drive.
I was drawn to this amp because of the versatility. I play in a cover band that does everything from new country, southern rock, classic rock, some harder stuff, but nothing really modern.
being able have a clean channel, a dirt channel and a lead type channel all right there seems ideal.
I'm not sure where I stand on el84 amps.I had a LSS, didn't care for it, however, the F-30 I thought was great.

Back