LSS Compare to Electradyne

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomahawk90

Reaction score
I spent some time over the weekend with the LSS and the Electradyne at GC compairing the two. I will be short and sweet..

LSS positives: Killer smooth responsive cleans nice overdrive and you can crank out some nice lead tones when the drive is cranked. The other positive is the wattage structure allowing you to play at lower volumes for different settings. i need that for some things that i do studio, home practice, on stage in more of a christian rock setting with occasional 80's rock VH, AC/DC. Over all cleans 10 overdrive 7ish.

Negatives: I was getting some break up on the clean channel at least it seemed that way on all wattage levels the volume had to be at 9' oclock before any sound come out. Master at noon, seemed to be some break up let me know some thoughts on this. I dont like the idea of taking an amp changing tubes and speakers to get the right sound it kinda defeats the point of the amp however if someone said just put in a G12 heritage and your problems are solved i would probably do that if thats the direction i go.

Electradyne positives: great cleans but not lonestar warm. More punchy and stronger pick attack. Nice 3 channel switching between hi/lo/clean. the gain on this amp is really nice and thick all british. dont get me wrong the cleans are really nice and you can dial in some nice tones. This amp really shines in the gain side with some volume. The reverb is really nice as well

Negatives: This amp is frigging loud! not only that but this thing is a bus to carry around. i also had a hard time getting the volumes to match the channel switching but i think i can figure that out with some time. this is after some initial fiddeling.

The choice is tough i need some input before i spend the dollars. If i get the LSS what will i regret about not getting the eletrydyne and vice versa. For you all with experience help me out.

Thanks

Isnt there some trim controls on the back panel of the electradyne ? That supposed to balance out the levels . very cool feature . Have you ever tried a Lonestar rather than the LSS ?

I considered both amplifiers in my tone search. I tried the Lonestar special right up next to the Electra Dyne. I also play in a Christian Rock band, I preferred the ED and purchased it. I have not looked back and only get happier by the day with buying the ED. Admittedly I use distorted tones far more than the cleans, and I seemed to be able to get 90% of the clean tones from the ED that I found in the Lonestar. And as stated in other forums distorted tones from the ED are far superior if that's what you're going for.

Here's a link to another forum where a person shared their experiences with the ED/Lonestar comparison. (as well as a stiletto)

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=48115

I know there is another foruml where a guy had an Electra Dyne and bought a Lonestar and thought the LS was a waste of money because the ED covers most of the ground the LS does and then some, but I couldn't find the link. Obviously I'm a little bias towards the ED, just my two cents.

Tomahawk90 said:
I did not try the Lonestar just the special.. What are the major differences?
If you are considering the Lonestar special I really think you should try the lonestar classic . More headroom . Its a monster amp .

Both great amps but if i was you I would at least demo the Lonestar . In channel 2 turn the bass almost off .

Laskyman said:
I've had both.... it's NO CONTEST... ED REIGNS SUPREME!!!

Owned several Mesas- I agree. This is the sleeper amp of the decade.

Previous owner of a Stiletto Ace, Lonestar Special, 10/50/100 Lonestar, and current owner of an Electra-Dyne. A mild overdrive added to the ED will get you the creamy leads of the Lonestar, and EL34's will get you a more true British flavor from the ED gain channels than in the LSC. The reverb is good on both amps. The ED(with EL-34's) is also MUCH less harsh sounding than the Stiletto in the gain channels. More like a vintage Marshall.

An Electra-Dyne and a decent OD pedal costs about the same as a comparative Lonestar, so............. 8)

It's a tough one. I own both and thought I when I purchased the ED that it would replace the LSS. However, they are such different amps that I couldn't let the LSS go. I actually really prefer it for a lot of things. For my taste the LSS cleans are the deal. I like my clean to break up and with the dedicated gain control this is not dependent on nor does it effect anything else in the amp. The overdrive channel on the LSS has a really nice unique flavor. Lots of character and really smooth but as mentioned above, the bass has to be turned almost off or it becomes "fart city". The upshot being that although it has a really nice soling voice it is not ideal for muscular riffing. That where the ED really shines for me. It's all muscle and huge. The clean channel on the ED is really nice too albeit with a completely different character.

I think the main thing if you have to make a decision is just decide which is the better tool for the music that YOU are playing. They both cover a lot of ground. If I were mainly doing sideman work where I had to fit into a mix, take killer solos and then blend back in the LSS is MY choice for that sort of thing. If I'm doing a more rock oriented thing where the guitar is the center of attention then the ED probably wins- no contest. Good luck!

I agree about the Dyne being friggin' loud! I know all about church music and quiet is always still far too loud. I've never worked anywhere else that had sound nazis anywhere near this bad. In any reasonable rock band gig, a halfstack is sufficient and 50 - 100watts is reasonable. In this situation, the Dyne would reign supreme.

Warm and bouncy vs glassy cleans. Well, the warm and bouncy is simply a product of a class A circuit. The EL-84s tend to have a brown and vibrant warmth which is not present in a different configuration. Again, it is what works for YOU. YOUR sound. The Electra Dyne clean is also no slouch. In fact, what blew me away about this amp is how the clean tone is stunning and the grind tones are definitely on par to this. SIMPLY AWESOME!

LSS - Yes, low wattage is great for church. My brother uses his for that. He swapped out one of the preamp tubes and yes, put in a Celestion G12H Heritage which REALLY improved the amp. On a side note, he bought the amp for CLEAN. He typically runs an ABY with his Red Bear MK60 for gain tones. While the MK60 is noisy, it has a unique tone which works great with his guitar. He did say that with the G12H Heritage, the gain sound is much better on his LSS, but it is still mostly suitable for lead playing. He is happy but is waiting eagerly for his theile 2 x 12 loaded with WGS Reaper 50watts to arrive.

Dyne - Loud amp is LOUD. It puts out over 9,000 decibels of pure tonegasm when cranked!! It sounds great when almost off but you just can't get the same amount of gain this way as you can when the amp is turned up. Something worth considering. If you absolutely LOVE this bugger, definitely get it. SERIOUSLY. DOOO IT! DON'T LOOK BACK. Just heed a few suggestions.
1) Don't bother with combos. Get the HEAD. They are lighter and way better for versatility.

2)We have spent lots of time talking about neutering amps, especially ones that spray excessively like the dyne! First suggestion, for church get a GREAT 2 x 12 that is suitable for church. Get low efficiency guitar speakers like Celestion Greenbacks or WGS Green Berets. (Don't turn your nose up at WGS, unless you like made in china celestions for $50 more) You can run the Dyne at 45watts and put just a but more juice through the greenbacks before a soundman complains. I'd recommend a ported 2 x 12 or a thiele, something that sounds less boxy and breathes more than a close back. If you need something for LOUD gigs, get a 4 x 12 or a 2 x 12 with high efficiency speakers. Nuff said!

3) Tubes. Different tubes have different ratings. Some are rated for higher gain, some are rated for less gain, some break up sooner, and others break up later. For maximum CRANKED tone at low volume, putting in some tubes rated to break up at low volumes will go a long way to getting that cranked tone at a lower level. If this isn't effective enough, you can always look into yellow jacket tube converters. I **THINK** there is a model designed to work with a simulclass amp. Not sure.

4)If this is still too 'loud' and you can't crank your amp enough, you can get an attenuator. Putting a hot plate between the amp and the cab and setting it to between -3 to -6 db will give you yet more opportunity to crank your amp without blowing people away. If you turn these up too high, they suck tone. It is best to rely on the cumulative effect of many volume dropping tricks than just count on one to quiet things down without sucking up all your valuable tone.

In closing, don't be afraid to customize. That is half the fun. This is why I think combos are annoying. Being able to change tubes and speaker cabs is part of the advantage of customizability. It makes gear more versatile instead of trying to jam it into a one size fits all package. Also, don't be afraid to carry multiple tubes around. It really helps get much more mileage out of gear. Because of Yellow Jackets, my Dual can now be converted from a 15watt small venue amp, to a 50watt for medium venues, and a 100watt firebreathing monster for when the occasion demands it. My two cabs also let me select from warm, vintage, and midrangey, to modern, phat, and tight. GOOD TIMES!!

hope this helps!!

Great reviews and detail thanks for the advice... I ordered the Dyne and i am not looking back! the versatility of this amp is what won out for me in the end. I run through a carl martin compressor an ocd and a carbon copy through the effects loop. Amp comes in Sep 29. I will post again then

cheers

are the yellow jackets plug and play or do you have to do some wiring? Do you use the EL34 or 6L6 setting?

YellowJackets are basically tube socket converters with resistors in them. You plug them into the power tube sockets and plug an EL-84 into the Yellow Jacket. There are different models of Yellow Jackets depending on the amp you are using. I'd suggest contacting THD about what would work best with whatever amp you have.
I run them on the 6L6 / Spongy setting on my Dual Rec. Since the resistors are cutting current, it makes sense to place as little strain on them as possible. There are lots of reports at the Marshall forum of people cooking Yellow Jackets and mine are still running great after I think 7 years now? Been a LONG time since I got them.

Speaker suggestions: I HIGHLY PREFER G12m 25 / g12m Heritage speakers with the Yellow Jackets. The looser cones and lower wattage gives a much more dynamic response when the wattage is cut significantly. Furthermore, the EL-84s have their own unique tonal characteristics which seem to jive best with vintage low wattage speakers. I haven't tried any flavour of G12H 30 but I'd imagine those would work well too.

Back