LSS 1 x 12 clean sound- heavenly

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjrhd28

Reaction score
At home, I've been running my LSS 1 x 12 on channel 1, gain at 9:00, channel volume at about the same, with the Master volume at noon and tone controls to taste, using just the 5 watt setting

Beautiful clean tones, although I don't know if I can get it loud enough to actually gig with without it breaking up.

I am so in love with my LSS. It is far and away the best amp that I have ever played. I like it better than the Matchless and Bad Cat that I was flirting with when I get the LSS. The amp is simply amazing.

On a side note how cool would it be if Mesa came out with the ultimate Lonestar... the choice of the classic 6L6/EL34 class A/B and the EL84 class A power amps via a footswitch? :?:

Yes. It is heavenly. 8)

I use the 30w setting for cleans for the headroom. On the dirty channel I am using 5w, at least for making noise in my living room. At least I have a fighting chance of getting a little power tube saturation that way.

I set up my channels the same way. The dirty channel on the 5w is so cool. I love the dynamics that happen every time you hit a big ol' rock chord!! Double stops kill also!

here are my settings:
Ch1 (30w)
gain: 10 o'clock
treb: 1 o'clock
mid: 11 o'clock
bass: noon
pres: noon
master: noon

Ch2 (5w)
drive: 10 o'clock
thick
gain: 2 o'clock
treb: 1 o'clock
mid: 10 o'clock
bass: 9 o'clock
pres: 11 o'clock
master: 9 o'clock

Been using the 15 watt setting for both channels... I seem to be happiest with that.

And by the way, if you guys are looking ofr a fuzz effect pedal, seriously consider the Keeley Fuzz Head. Just heavenly with a Class A amp...

hey guys...
I too am loving my lss....though I have had a hard time picking any of the amp settings as my favorite so far...
it dosent seem to matter which tube selection I use 5 15 or 30....since I have been able to get tone I like on each and every one of these power choices...and at low volumes....
I am finding the amp very dynamic...in its range,,,,of settings...

I spent a whole week with the purr and grind settings suggested in the manual...sizzling
and am now using the lonestar state settings....nice cleans...

the best part is it lets the character of my strat shine thru....in any of the 5 pick-up combo's(single coil or humbucker)
and I have been able to dial in a cool tone with just the guitars tone/volume controls and pick up selector....

the Lss is like going to tone school....
L'auger

speedy mcfeely said:
On a side note how cool would it be if Mesa came out with the ultimate Lonestar... the choice of the classic 6L6/EL34 class A/B and the EL84 class A power amps via a footswitch? :?:

This is very similar to the Badcat Tone cat!!!!

Which Badcats were you looking at.

I have a Mesa RK. a Mark 4 Widebody Combo and a LSS 1 x 12.

The Badcats had such a different sound that you cannot get out of a current Mesa.

I'll be picking up a BadCat Tone Cat in the next 2 months but it will not be to replace my LSS. The 2 sound so different.

One thing I have wondered about though. Take any BadCat, Vox or Matchless with a 4 x EL84 set up. They are earbleed loud before there is even a hint of any breakup.

Why does a LSS at the 30 watt setting in channel 1 even using the 35 watt jack breakup so much earlier???? Not a bad thing, just curious why?

brianf

I was looking into a Matchless DC-30, and a Bad Cat hotcat. I wanted the SRVish breakup and growl, but also a killer clean. You are right, they all sound different, but in the end, I like the LSS. It is better for me, and I saved a little jack to boot. I wish that I had a classic to compliment; next amp purchase will either be the LSC or the Stilleto Ace 112 combos. I suppose that eventually I'll have all 3. 8)

Why does a LSS at the 30 watt setting in channel 1 even using the 35 watt jack breakup so much earlier???? Not a bad thing, just curious why?

The plate voltage to the preamp tubes in the LS and LSS is only 202 volts. In most amps, Fender Black Face for example, it is 280 to 325 volts.

Latest posts

Back