LSC, too dark with my humbuckers

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zwish

Reaction score
Hey guys. After a few rehearsals, I'm finding myself always grabbing my G&L tele because when I grab the PRS w/ humbuckers, I struggle to get a clear tone (not muddy). The tone I go for 90% of the time is a really nice low/mid gain just barely breaking up (lots of playing dynamics) kind of tone. It's super easy to get with the G&L (lindy fralin pickups in it). Obviously humbuckers have a lot more output, but I'm finding it pretty hard to get rid of the mud. I've got the bass and mids close to off on both channels and the gain on both straight up (12:00). I don't know if it's because these PRS pickups happen to be very hot, but I definitely feel like the lonestar is a single coil kind of amp. Any suggestions? Thanks everyone!

PS. I've done the reeder mod.

plan-x said:
Maybe lowering your pups. Worked with my LP.
That should help. Also, I recommend this without knowing anything about your settings, but try backing off on the Treble (yes) while boosting the Gain and the Presence. Puts a little snap back into the highs and clears some of the mud, and you make up for the gain loss with the reduced Treble.

...and, you did the Reeder mod... which one? Did you do #2? Big ol' mud cutter.

Just the Ch2 pot swap reeder mod. I'll try reducing the treble. I've got mine around 2:00 on both channels. Thanks for the tips.

boogiemon said:
another thing to try is to keep the drive higher than the gain on ch2.
Yes!
Also, I think humbuckers do tend to get a little thick on the LSC. I personally only like low output PAF style buckers for that reason. The way I set up my amps, high output, high resistance buckers sound like crap. So I set them down low or get rid of them for some PAF's. That's why you got a 513. Split those pups.

My tip would be

- turn the wattage down,
- turn master and volume above 12 (I like Master at over 12 and volume at 3)
- engage thick (if too loud go down wattage further and engage thicker)
- reduce the gain to get back to where you were before you cranked Master

You may also need to increase the bass, you will now get an increase in a lower bass frequency (per my ears). You may then also want to turn your guitar volume and tone down to 7 or 8 (alah Joe Bonamassa) to fatten it all up and now it should not be "too" dark.

Cheer

Turn the guitar's volume down. I never have the volume on my Les Paul (Duncan Seth Lovers) on 10 whan I want a clean sound.

Latest posts

Back