Losing power in a Nomad 55

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supertaster

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 2X12 Nomad 55 that's had an odd, intermittent power problem for some time.

This is what happens:

1) When I turn the amp on, the channel lights on the amp and footswitch light up, but the front jewel light does not
2) When I flick he amp out of standby, it's totally dead

This only happens every 3-4 months, and usually lasts for a day or so, then everything is OK. I've checked the fuse, and it's fine; I've checked the jewel light and it seems fine.

What fault could silence the amp and kill the jewel light but leave the other lights working fine? I'm pretty sure this happened before I did my last revalve, so I doubt it's a valve problem.

I live some way out of town so going to a tech's a bit of a hassle. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Matt

OK, I've pulled the chassis out to have a closer look. There are no obvious burnt resistors or leaky filter caps. When the problem occurs, absolutely no power runs to the output valves. Would I be right in assuming that this is a power transformer problem? As I said before, other parts of the amp are still getting power OK. It seems to be just the jewel light and power valves.

Cheers,
Matt

Latest posts

Back