Loose 6L6 tube glass

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shantiano

Reaction score
One of the 6L6 tubes glass on my Mark I Reissue is loose but the base seems tight. Is my tube socket loose or shoud I replace my tube?

I'd pull the tube and verify that it's the glass and not the base. Also, when you pull it you can check if the pins move with the glass, or stay tight in the base. If they move with the glass, you have a loose socket in the amp AND a loose base on the tube.

I'd be suspicious of loose glass. If the tube loses vacuum it will stop working. Keep a spare at least.

Its quite common for the glass envelope to become loose within the base.If the glass were cracked you would lose vacuum immediately and the silver flashing and possibly the entire glass envelope would be a milky white,and the tube wouldnt work.Just be careful when removing the tube not to pull it by the glass,just grasp the base and pull carefully,if you must pull it out.If there is no other reason to pull it out but to look at it,leave it alone.

Back