Looking for Santana tones from my MarkIIB

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Very Slow Hands

Reaction score
I am an "old guy" (55) beginer and I love the sound of 1990 to present Carlos Santana. I just bought a Mark IIB and would really appreciate any advice on what settings to start out at to dial in that tone. I am a bit overwhelmed at the adjustability, but am looking forward to spending time playing. Thanks for any help!

with the 2b, you can dial in santana tones pretty easy...

volume helps.

volume always helps!!
i mean, that's how santana did it!!!

but, for tones, be careful with how you dial in the presence, in the back....

do it by ear..... no numbers...
but typically, it seems the creamy tone is found at or below about 3.

also, use the shift pulls, and the gain pull, and dial off most all the bass, and play between the treble (start around 7) and the mids (start around 4)

keep the vol1 around 7'ish, and the lead drive should be around 7'ish or higher....

it all depends on your guitar...
your pickups.....

and how loud you play.

i find that you can't really get to the santana mojo, til you hit at least 4 or 5 on the master vol (both master and lead channel) and that's way fukin' loud!!

Thanks for responses. I took amp in to local Mesa dealer for a look see and... Long story short i returned the MarkIIB and am getting an Express 5:25 tonight.

Very Slow Hands said:
Thanks for responses. I took amp in to local Mesa dealer for a look see and... Long story short i returned the MarkIIB and am getting an Express 5:25 tonight.
Why?

the express is a wonderful new boogie...

but it wont do the vintage santana thing you said you were interested in....

or if it will, i'd love to hear it!

Latest posts

Back