Lonestar special 5watt mode...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grimey

Reaction score
Is the 5 watt mode simply for a different tonality, or is it actually a useable 'lower volume' setting?

Both... There is definitely a different tone. It's a single ended circuit.. Very thich and harmonic...Me likes with strat. 8)
ax. :twisted:

As Axewielding1 says this setting is better with single coils. Humbuckers just overpower this litle circuit.

Saying that using a Fillmore PUP in the neck position on my LP can get some very cool OD tones if you use channel 2 and are carefull with the drive and gain. Think Santana type sustain.

This amp has it's limitations, even in the 30 watt setting not much headroom but as a practice amp or small miked gig it just excells.

I love mine.

brianf

grimey said:
Is the 5 watt mode simply for a different tonality, or is it actually a useable 'lower volume' setting?

It has a different tone to be sure. It is LUSCIOUS on channel one clean or slightly overdriven. It is worthless for high gain stuff which is a shame -I thought it would be great for getting low vol power tube satuaration. It does that, but the tone sucks - Too furry and bland, no sizzle. Just my opinion.

Bluebones, I have to agree. From what I can tell, it isn't really a design flaw in the LSS since I have had 4 different EL84 based amps and found them to all be the same when driven too hard. It is a great tube to get the warm clean and the bluesy breakup, but you aren't going to get classic Brit overdrive from them. I tried them with different speakers and different bias settings and it was always about the same. They do sound best when the bias is set hot.

I did play a LSS at home for over a month and traded it in for the LSC. I do like those 6L6 tubes!

Personally, I love the 5 watt setting on Channel 2... I've found that turning the drive down to about 10:30 has actually cleared up whatever remaining mud I may have had.

SabuJSE said:
Personally, I love the 5 watt setting on Channel 2... I've found that turning the drive down to about 10:30 has actually cleared up whatever remaining mud I may have had.

Man, how do you have the rest of the amp controls (or guitar) dialed in? I can't imagine I haven't tried everything with 5 watt /ch. 2 already but I'm all ears. Thanks.

I actually was messing with this again last night - and had another epiphany in terms of the mid control (I had set it to low). Here's how my channel 2 currently looks:

Drive -- 11:00
Gain -- 2:00
Treble -- 1:30
Mid -- 11:00ish
Bass -- 9:00
Presence -- 12:00 (I think)

Thickest/5 watt. Tone controls on the SG I was using last night was roughly 7 for the neck and 9 for the bridge. Your mileage may vary :)

EDIT: That presence setting is confirmed - between 12 and 1 o'clock. Drive can go anywhere from 10-12 o'clock as well.

The thick and thicker controls have a real impact on the 5W sound from what I remember. I do like the tone shaping options that Mesa put on both the LSS and LSC. If you are patient and willing to adjust the EQ and approach it from a clean start each time, then you will find the LSx an amp that can get you the tone you want.

Has anyone tried the LSS with alnico speakers or something other than the stock ones?

cnumb44 said:
The thick and thicker controls have a real impact on the 5W sound from what I remember. I do like the tone shaping options that Mesa put on both the LSS and LSC. If you are patient and willing to adjust the EQ and approach it from a clean start each time, then you will find the LSx an amp that can get you the tone you want.

Has anyone tried the LSS with alnico speakers or something other than the stock ones?

I've been thinking about a speaker swap, but probably won't try it. Channel 2 could use just a little more bite, but the possibility of Channel 1's cleans getting worse is very real. Since I'd rate Ch. 1 clean as a "10" and Ch. 2 as an "8", I'm not going to mess with it.

cnumb44 said:
i got an empty mesa 1x12 compact open back and put an alnico weber blue dog in it. i think i need a bigger cab though. the cleans sound absolutely dreamy but channel 2 isn't as open as it was in the combo setup. i'm tempted to try a v30 or greenback in the open cab. i'm finding the blue dog a little too soft for my overdrive tastes. if only each channel had it's own speaker outs....

Just for laughs, I switched to 15 watt over the weekend with tons of eq changes that I can't remember here at work. Sounded pretty nice and I may stick with it for a bit.

As has been mentioned, I really do love the fact that you can tweak the heck out of this little gem - write down those settings in the manuals, kiddies! ^.^

Back