Lonestar Special 15W & 30W settings?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonestar001

Reaction score
Can someone reassure me that in the comfort of my living room I am unlikely to hear much difference between the 15 & 30w settings on my Lonestar Special. The 5w is easily recognisable in terms of the single ended class "A" operation. The other two both push/pull A/B seems more suitable in terms of power difference when I've been experimenting. Would it be more noticeable in a bigger room where the load difference between 2xEL84 (15w) and 4xEL84(30w) when cranking the amp may be more apparent. Cheers in advance.

No, I don't remember much difference between the two other than a slight kick in power. I tended to use mine in 30w on the clean channel for the extra headroom and 5w on the lead channel for maximum overdrive.

The 30 watt (or 35 watt using the 8 ohm output) uses the silicon diode as a rectifier. It's much tighter and much less likely to break up on the clean channel. The 15 watt setting (using the tube rectifier) will be spongy and more old school sounding.
You can select either rectifier for the 15 watt setting. The 30 watt defaults to the solid state rectifier only.
Pure class A way of cutting through the mix regardless of the power setting, especially with a solid state
rectifier.
The little LSS is a giant killer.
Jim

The amp is Pure Class A, not A/B, the 5 watt is single ended and the 15/30 watt is push/pull.
See: http://www.mesaboogie.com/US/Smith/ClassA.htm

Latest posts

Back