Lonestar hum

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctek

Reaction score
Hi

I have just purchased a Lonestar Classic from ebay. The amp has a very load and pronounced hum. It hums like this without any instrument plugged in and regardless of how any of the switches or dials are set.

Is this normal - I have an express 5:50 and a Stiletto Ace and neither hum like this (although the ACe does have a very loud fan)

I am concerned I have bought an amp that is going to need an expensive repair so any advice would be appreciated

Howard

I have a classic and did have a special. Both dead quiet part from the fan. Unfortunatley I have no idea what is causing your hum, but it's obviously not "normal"

Just to add to this

I have noticed that the front of the amp where the dials are gets very hot - so hot that I cant keep my finger on it for long

This is only playing at bedroom volume

H

ctek said:
Hi

I have just purchased a Lonestar Classic from ebay. The amp has a very load and pronounced hum. It hums like this without any instrument plugged in and regardless of how any of the switches or dials are set.

Is this normal - I have an express 5:50 and a Stiletto Ace and neither hum like this (although the ACe does have a very loud fan)

I am concerned I have bought an amp that is going to need an expensive repair so any advice would be appreciated

Howard

It very well could be the electrical current in your living space.

My rental house is horrible and hums SO LOUD!!!!

But when I go to gigs it is very quiet!

I did consider that - I have tried it all over the house.

Both my Ace and Express dont hum so is that likely? I can always take it to the office to test it there.

Have you tried swapping tubes? Especially if they were shipped from the seller on EBay! I've never had tubes arrive alive in an amp that was shipped.

-dave

I have changed all the tubes and tried it at another location and still no joy.

The hum is the kind you sometimes get when you touch the end of a guitar cable when it is plugged into the amp - not quite that loud though but almost

It looks as though the seller is going to be okay about though - he is going to have a look tomorrow and either refund my money or he has said he can arrange for the amp to be sent back as it is still under warranty. I will probably just ask for a refund under the circumstances

H

Don't let it put you off the Lonestar, it really is a great amp!

I am definitely going to get a replacement - I already have an express 5:50 and an ACE. The ACE is going though as I prefer the 6L6 sound

H

Why not make a deal with the seller to have you take it to an authorized Boogie amp tech you trust and have him or her pick up the tab for the repair. My LSC is used and does not have the hum you describe. I would be more concerned about the how hot that front panel gets and what is that about.

Matt

Did you take it to another location and try it out? (not another room...another house!)

My electricity is CRAP in my house and I get hum in my LSC but like another poster above its quiet at gigs.

It was definitely a fault. The seller has grudgingly taken it back and had it repaired

I paid over the odds for it and didn't want to have a repaired amp at the price I paid. Fickle I know but there are others out there.

Cheers

H

Latest posts

Back