Lonestar Format Opinions?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeyodeath

Reaction score
just wondering what the tonal differences between a 1x12 and 4x10 LSC combo might be. does it depend on how you're gonna use it...or is it more of a preference thing...and if so, might someone describe what the sound difference is?

Thanks guys!

I have not A-B'd the two but here are some considerations. A 1-12 Lonestar is a good sized amp but a 4 -10 is really quite large and heavy. If you decide to try different speakers the single 12 will offer more options and be far less expensive. Running an efficient cast frame speaker in a 1-12 should be loud enough for just about any gig. Beyond that most places will mic your amp anyway. If I was running 4-10s I would want two in an open back and two in a ported cab (Thiele specs). Maybe a head would be the best choice for you?

1x12 will have more bass than a 4x10. Speaker/cabinets are a personal preference. They are two variables in the signal chain that results in your tone. 4x10s/4x12s are made to push a lot of air for a bigger/louder sound (to mix with other loud instruments). As mentioned you'll often be mic'ed so a 1x12 is usually more than enough live (or 1 or 2 10s).

My preference are Mesa 3/4 tuned back cabinets for an all around single/dual cabinet setup (covering punchy cleans to punchy leads). Might consider a Lone Star 23 open back 1x12 to go with the Lone Star 23 Head I have on order if I need less bass for certain situations. Planning on running Tung-Sol 6V6s in it.

LSS 1x12 is a very useable format; not bad to move (especially with casters) and sounds quite good. I haven't A/B'd with the 4x10 but that looks much bigger on more unwieldy. Mesa has been doing compact 1x12 for years so they know how to get a build that configuration for tone.

FWIW, I had an LSC 2X12 a couple of years ago. It died on me and GC's repair shop couldn't fix it and they had to ship it back to Mesa. GC replaced the unit with a 1X12 and some $$ and strings, and a couple of nice cables. IMHO the 1X12 LSC had more bottom end, and a richer tone all around. Don't get me wrong, I don't think the unit was defective, because my original LSC was a 1X12 floor unit that was replaced with a new one. I opened it up at GC played the new one, got it home and didn't even notice it had 2X12 until a day later. Well you know how Karma goes, I didnt say anything, thinking I scored a deal, but the thing died on me, hence the replacement. Only thing I miss was my original 2 units were Blonde Tolex/Black Grille. I now have the Bronco Blue/Silver, but it sounds saweet.

The tonal differences will be more a bit more mids and punch with the 4/10
and more bass with the 1/12. I use my one/12 on a lot of gigs, and never had any problems with getting the tone I wanted but, If you like to fill out the stage with more sound at a lower spl, the 4-10 would do the trick.

Latest posts

Back