Lonestar Drive Channel Vs. Mark V Channel 2?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theroan

Reaction score
I think it's been firmly established that the clean channels on these amps are fairly on par with one another. Yes there are subtle differences but for the most part they're pretty close.

I'm curious if anyone has compared edge or crunch to the drive channel of the Lonestar. Are the similar, way different? Preferences one way or the other?

Thanks!

theroan said:
So essentially Fat clean and Mark 1 and you've got a Lonestar.

Yes and no. The Lonestar still has the Mark I's separate drive and gain knobs, plus the 100w power section and the 3 position voice switch.

I do think they're similar, but not identical.

They may be similar in amount of gain, but they dont sound alike.

The Lonestar is it's own beast.

The LS is one of the best amps Mesa makes IMHO . I still prefer the cleans over the Mark V . Its a work horse .

The reason I ask is because I think I'm done playing metal stuff. I played Lonestar last night and I was super impressed, I a/b'd the LS 2x12 with a Mark V 1x12 and found that the LS just slayed. If I don't need channel 3 and really graphic eq, would I make sense to move to the LS and perhaps free up some cash.

This is my conundrum.

Keep it coming though if anyone has opinions.

The LS likes pedals as well . Matches up nicely with Tube Screaner, BB preamp, etc.. I love my Mark V but the LS is an amazing amp . I still feel its the best clean sound of any amp mesa makes .

theroan said:
The reason I ask is because I think I'm done playing metal stuff. I played Lonestar last night and I was super impressed, I a/b'd the LS 2x12 with a Mark V 1x12 and found that the LS just slayed. If I don't need channel 3 and really graphic eq, would I make sense to move to the LS and perhaps free up some cash.

This is my conundrum.

That's a hard decision........ i was in a similar situation about 3 or 4 months ago (i am saving money to get the LSC someday). as right now the mark V/mark I thick mode/ eq off and boosting with a RC booster got me extremely close........

some day i'll get the LSC and as hendog mention before "The Lonestar is it's own beast." is so true.........

good luck :wink:

theroan said:

This is my conundrum.

What a decition! well, I think that maybe you can set the cleans on the MKV the best you can to get that LS type of sound and a little reverb, set the ch2 to a soft overdrive, using edge maybe, and I mean overdrive by having an almost clean sound but a little dirty with a little reverb to and ch3 with a little more gain for soloing, then you can leave a good amount of reverb to have more headroom and you are done! totally a different sound out of this beast..and you can avoid the FX loop..just an idea, oh and swap to EL34 and use a strato ;)

Really not a fair fight. The mk v's channel 2 has 3 voicings, 3 power settings, and a. Variac option as well as eq. The tone can completely change so that you wouldnt know it was the same amp at all.

theroan said:

This is my conundrum.

Throw a 1x12 extension cab under the Mark V combo. The second speaker makes a pretty significant difference.

One of the beauties of the old Mark's (and the Lonestar) was that you could cascade the gain yet keep things smooth. The dual drive/gain knob setup meant you could dial in stuff that was right on the border between overdrive and high gain with precision. Combined with the right guitar/pickup it's some seriously smokin' blues sounds. The Mark V removes some of that control since the drive 'knob' is hardwired internally at 7.8... but you can find some excellent tones quite low on channel 3's gain knob.

Long story short, I wouldn't sell the Mark V short as a 'metal amp' simply because that's the way you're accustomed to using it. The amp is capable of so much more, you just need to break outside the box to experience it.

Scary said:
Really not a fair fight. The mk v's channel 2 has 3 voicings, 3 power settings, and a. Variac option as well as eq. The tone can completely change so that you wouldnt know it was the same amp at all.

AND when you are in 45w you can choose between tubes or diodes..I love saying that this amp its like 20 in one (if you count the modes and everything there are like 100 amps :lol:

screamingdaisy said:
Lonestar = Mark 1

The LS does not have the raw gain that the Mark I mode of the V has, though they are similar. I just sold a LSC to buy a Mark V. The LSC is a nice amp, but the Reeder mod was a must. I really wish there was a Reeder mod for the Mark 1 mode of the Mark V. It is too thick.

And as someone else stated, the V combo with a 1x12 extension is another animal, better IMHO than the LS for cleans.

screamingdaisy said:
Long story short, I wouldn't sell the Mark V short as a 'metal amp' simply because that's the way you're accustomed to using it. The amp is capable of so much more, you just need to break outside the box to experience it.

I couldn't agree more. For months now I have barely touched CH3 (I have also been moving away from playing metal) and when I do it is more often then not with the gain turned WAY down. Fact is you could remove CH3 altogether from this amp and I would still be very happy with it.

I think there are more similarities than we're giving credit for.
The Lonestar also has variable wattage
The Lonestar has tube rect or diode
Solo boost.

The Lonestar has the advantage in terms of the Mark I sound because you don't have to cut any and all semblence of bass in your EQ, unlike the Mark V.

Has anyone A/B'd the Mark 1 mode with the Lonestar drive?

This thread really interests me. I have been listening a lot to Andy timmons lately. I have the Mark v combo and wide body 1x12. I think it is really cool to have the great lone star style cleans on ch 1 with fat...channel 2 in mark 1 for that lonestar Timmons, Eric Johnson, and almost steve vai legacy lead sound (ala boston rain melody), and then channel 3 for the heavier high gain stuff (petrucci etc). Sick.

Both amps offer a huge variety of tone options, limited only by my own shortcommings. I fall in and out of love with each regularly, depending on what guitar / PUP combination I am using, and my insatiable capacity for tinkering with excellent settings that ain't broke!

I am keeping both, but like others here, rarely find something on the V's CH3 that inspires me as much as CH1 / 2 or the LSC for blues / rock styles. Front load an OD pedal, and it's all there for what I need

Hey guys, I'm resurrecting this thread because this my current dilemma. Has anybody done a side-by-side review of LSC channel 2 vs Mark V channel 2?

I'm leaning towards Mark V for its extra features, but when I put on my responsible big boy pants, I realize tone is more important than knobs and switches. (I love knobs and switches.)

Back