Lonestar Classic 1x12 or 2x12 in a live situation?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guitar55

Reaction score
Anyone gigging with the LSC?

Do you have the 1x12 or 2x12? What do you think of it?

I'd like to keep the weight down, so I'm thinking of gettng the 1x12.

Thanks,
Dennis

We're playing out occasionally and our lead guitarist has a LSS 1x12. He had no problem getting out in club situations. He also plays in another band with 7 members, and his leads are heard in a club with the 30 watts on that little gem. In fact, he was mic'd and the sound guy dropped his sound reinforcement channel down to zero. He was mic'd for an outdoor gig, but most of the sound was coming from his amp. You shouldn't have too much problem being heard with 50/100 watts.

I have been gigging with the LSC 2x12 and love it. I had a rectoverb series 2 before that and I honestly don't think this is any heavier. (the rectoverb was a 1x12) I checked out the LSC 1x12 before I bought the 2x12 with my guitars, Les Paul and Strat. I know how sensitive the controls are on these, but I found the 2x12 really made them sing. I normally run the clean on 100w and chan 2 on 50w. It took a lot of patience, but I think I finally have it dialed in. I run a pedalboard for some added boost, but did not need it at the last gig. I just cranked the volume pot on the guitars and they were screaming. We play classic rock and this amp handles it easily. I have not had to go above 12:00 on the output and usually around 9 or 10 the channel masters. Being heard will not be a problem.

Guitar55 said:
Anyone gigging with the LSC?

Do you have the 1x12 or 2x12? What do you think of it?

I'd like to keep the weight down, so I'm thinking of gettng the 1x12.

Thanks,
Dennis

I use the LSC 1x12 as my main live amp. We play blues-rock, jazz and funk. I use a variety of stomp boxes with it as well. Normally during live performances I am mic'd so theres never an issue of not being heard. I play with a fairly loud drummer. But the LS is such a loud amp that it woud cut through any situation. One thing I noticed though is that the LSC 1x12 has a lot of bottom end, highs seem to get lost on stage. On a smaller stage I would try to point the amp upwards or place it on some kind of stand to get it up off the floor and closer to where you can hear it in the mix.

Thanks for the responses.

I'd like to get the 1x12. Currently I use a blackface Fender Pro Reverb. It's only 40 watts, but the two 12's move a lot of air.

From what I'm hearing the 100 watts should easily make up for it.

Joe, I've been seriously considering the LSC 1x12. I have a ROV series 1 that really works well but there's something about the Lonestar that attracts me. My fear is the gain channel. The ROV has been the only amp I've owned that gave me that special distortion and sustain. My fear is that I'll be trading a better clean sound for a "just not enough" dirty sound. I can live with the ROV but the one time I tried an LSC, it was wonderful...Thanks...

JoeVFR said:
I have been gigging with the LSC 2x12 and love it. I had a rectoverb series 2 before that and I honestly don't think this is any heavier. (the rectoverb was a 1x12) I checked out the LSC 1x12 before I bought the 2x12 with my guitars, Les Paul and Strat. I know how sensitive the controls are on these, but I found the 2x12 really made them sing. I normally run the clean on 100w and chan 2 on 50w. It took a lot of patience, but I think I finally have it dialed in. I run a pedalboard for some added boost, but did not need it at the last gig. I just cranked the volume pot on the guitars and they were screaming. We play classic rock and this amp handles it easily. I have not had to go above 12:00 on the output and usually around 9 or 10 the channel masters. Being heard will not be a problem.

Raz,
It depends on what type of distortion you are looking for. The LSC won't do a metal type distortion but it will definitely do rock. We play classic rock and it handles it all with ease. I really believe this amp is breaking in and sounding better than when I first got it. A lot of it probably has to do with the fact of learning how sensitive the controls are as well. And as I think about it, I don't think it's fair to say it won't do metal. I have used the clean channel with my pedalboard and a metal patch and it sounded o.k., just not as good as the amp by itself. The rectoverb was a great amp for metal. In my opinion, the LSC is a great amp for everything.

Thanks for the response Joe,
That's what caught my attention about the LSC....it seems to sound great no matter what setting you have it on. I guess I'm more of a 70's- 80's metal/hard rock guy, so the amp doesn't have to be that big brutal distortion, but I do need it to get somewhat of a Marshall-y, Van Halen type tone. Honestly, if the Marshalls were slightly less expensive and got a little better clean tone, this wouldn't be an issue. I've learned to love the Mesa distortion and have became a Mesa "guy" over the past few months....but if someone wants to give me a TSL122.. :D
JoeVFR said:
Raz,
It depends on what type of distortion you are looking for. The LSC won't do a metal type distortion but it will definitely do rock. We play classic rock and it handles it all with ease. I really believe this amp is breaking in and sounding better than when I first got it. A lot of it probably has to do with the fact of learning how sensitive the controls are as well. And as I think about it, I don't think it's fair to say it won't do metal. I have used the clean channel with my pedalboard and a metal patch and it sounded o.k., just not as good as the amp by itself. The rectoverb was a great amp for metal. In my opinion, the LSC is a great amp for everything.

While it would be very desirable not to carry the extra weight, I personally would rather have the 2x12, even if it meant spending some dough on one of those neat collapsable dollies. There's just something about a 2x12, especially if you are going to get a little loud.

http://www.brandsonsale.com/aluminum-folding-hand-cart-dolly.html

Be careful about dolly's. I bought one that started ripping the bottom tolex of my ROV where it rested on some metal.

sutton said:
While it would be very desirable not to carry the extra weight, I personally would rather have the 2x12, even if it meant spending some dough on one of those neat collapsable dollies. There's just something about a 2x12, especially if you are going to get a little loud.

http://www.brandsonsale.com/aluminum-folding-hand-cart-dolly.html

I've palyed the 1x12 & 2x12.

The 1x12 seems to have more percievable low end at lower volumes. I don't know why. Perhaps 'cause the wattage is pushing a single speaker instead of dividing the power between two? AnywayI went with the 212 and when I got it I freaked out a bit because it seemed to lack bottom. Now everything's fine. It was a combination of having to EQ them differently and letting the transformer & speakers "season" if you will. I wouldn't trade back. That's why I just ordered a 1x12 LSC, too.

Back