Lone Star Classic verse's Special -Sparkling Cleans

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Classic without a doubt. I had both. At volume the 30 watts of the LSS wasn't enough for my situation. I think the LSC has a beautiful clean, right there with the Fender TRRI. I play rock, alt country alt country and blues on a Strat with Texas Special and a Tele with Dimarzios split coils thru a LSC 2x12 .

I have not played a LSS however from my experience with other amps 30 watts is not enough for clean headroom at gig level volumes unless you are mic'd. 50 Watts seems to be the minimum you'd need.

I loved the LSS.. My favorite.. And all it's class A nuances. But....
LSC all the way.. The Headroom for clean just isn't there for gigging.. For cleans, the blackface Twin Reverb is it for me, and the Classic is closest in that department, plus all the gain choices....
No doubt, LSC.....
ax. 8)

LSC and a Fender Startocaster Deluxe with Custom Shop '69 pickups. The LSC also sounds great with my PRS McCarty.

This is a matter of taste. However in my case I am in love with my LSS. I spent considerable time with both the LSC and LSS. I found that I love the class A overtones, and 3rd harmonics that I get with the LSS. I needed more of a jangeley clean, bright and clear. I am of the "mic the cab" mentality. I think it is because I also run sound.
I know that we are talking clean, but when the LSS drive channel is active, and the amp is in 5 watt mode it is the best overdrive that I have ever heard in an amp. It is very natural, and organic; it doesn't sound a bit digital, or solid state. This is the reason that there are still tube amps, and will always be tube amps... MOJO!
The LSC is fantastic, but for me the LSS spoke to me, and my inner tone. I will get a LSC head, and 212 cab someday, and have both because they are so different... it almost warrants a different name entirely.

Good luck

I'm with Speedy - they really should be named two different amps.

I believe that the sparkling cleans/Class A lush overdrive of the LSS far outweigh any headroom issues that can easily be resolved by micing the combo or getting an external cab. I find an external cab to be a nice solution for any clean headroom issues, sans playing hockey arenas and football stadiums - and I gotta think there that your amp would be mic'd anyway :)

I've been playing a lot in the 15 watt section but the 5 watt section in channel 2 can be pure bliss if you've handled your tone knobs correctly. Less is More with this amp.

Strat with singles, SG with HB's, and a Martin DC Aura all sing through this thing.

I got to play them side by side. The LSC would be more useful for loud, unmiked venues. The LSS was just to juicy for me to pass up. I have a Twin to use with a AB/Y if I need the extra volume. The LSS 1X12 I played beside the 2X12 was a woody and had a lot more treble to my ears. I like the LSS so far, no issues at all. Good classic rock amp, I use it like a Vox.

To my ears playing the 2 side by side with my Parker Fly Mojo, I find the LSS more detailed (if that makes any sense), responsive and sweeter in both clean and drive modes. Tried them both with various PRS's at the store before buying and found some sounded better with the LSC on one day - then went back again and the LSS appealed more. Only way to tell is to try both side by side with your rig at bedroom and gig volumes - may annoy the guys in the store, but they will want to sell you one of them!

That said, the drive on the LSS takes a bit of fiddling to get just right, but worth it when you do. Not sure if the LSC is easier in this regard, as it has the same preamp but different power amp tubes.

And if headroom for cavernous venues is an issue, you can go for a Sequis Motherload or Palmer speaker emulator - no bleeding mike issues, and straight into the desk/PA using your LSS as a stage monitor. Works for me.

Back