Live amplification questions from an amateur

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fome

Reaction score
I have a Mark III combo, but when I raise the volume so that it's loud enough for a live performance, I lose clarity so that I can't hear the nuances of the sound anymore. Should I be running it into a Cab? Or would it be better through a PA? What suggestions would you guys have for improving clarity at loud volumes?

+1 million

Drop your gain as your volume goes up. Funny thing, volume. You will find that you will not need as much gain if you are actually playing loud, outdoors especially. Also indoors, too much gain will only get you lost in the mix and make you sound like crap. If you feel you are lacking bottom play with a ported (Thiele or other) extension cab or add a sealed cab. This will give you more bottom and a little better projection.

Ok, well if my gain is 7 when my master is 1.5, where should I put my gain when the master is 2.5?

You'll have to determine that yourself. Take the time to listen to how you sit in the mix and how your tone is affected. Really there isn't a A+B=C formula. Use your ears. If you have to, have someone else listen for you or even have someone else play your rig while you listen. This is usually the best way to do it. In time, you will be able to hear it yourself.

Quick guess... less than 7

Don't forget, volume 1 and lead gain are BOTH gain stages, one for input the other just for lead, as the master goes up, I would turn volume 1 down, not lead gain, that way it's affecting all channels and not just the lead channel.

Ok, I've tried these suggestions. So far I had better results leaving the volume 1. When I turned volume 1 down, it charged the entire character of the sound, and it had less sustain. I had better luck turning down lead drive. However, no matter what I do, turning down either of these takes out some of the crunchiness from palm muted notes. Should this be expected? I also tried turning down the presence, but I didn't hear much improvement.

It might be better just to re-eq it from scratch at higher volume. Turning up the bass or pulling the deep knob should help to adding the punch of palm mutes. If you have the GEQ, you'll probably want to turn up the low mids and lows as well.

You did not mention enough detail about your situation really. Is it a combo or a 60watter and importantly what kind of speaker you're using.
What kind of output tubes you have etc. The term "live performance volume" is rather subjective as well as what kind of music you're playing etc. Remember that one of the properties of the lower power speakers (V-30's) as an example; will add distortion of their own at a certain point in volume. A problem I don't seem to have with the EVM's. Some output tubes start adding distortion at a much lower volume than others. If you're already using a heavily distorted or overdriven preamp setting this will usually be perceived as "getting muddy" at higher volumes under these conditions. Most of us mic our amps for live performance and here's another something to consider. When my bass player decides to start cranking his 700 watt power amp the bass frequencies tend to "wash out the stage".

It is a 60 watt combo with EVM, using JJ tubes. I play with pretty high gain settings.

Well, if you are micing the amp, then I technically don't even need it to be super loud by itself right?

That is correct! The 60 watter is preferred when one desires to get more power amp distortion at lower volumes. Mic'ing the EV will solve your problems as then you would be able to have your guitar sound put in the monitors as needed and you won't have to push your amp beyond "the sweet spot". Try an SM-57 or an E-609. Save your ears and let the PA do the grunt work!

Latest posts

Back