LF suggestions for a pedal to boost my DC-5

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sixstringpsycho

Reaction score
Any suggestions? I am looking for a pedal to give me some boost for solos and even just overall. I tried a TS808 and am not convinced thats the best I can do. Any ideas? experiences?

Depends on what kind of boost.

If you want a simple clean boost then the MXR micro amp will do fine. If you want grit the Barber Direct drive is a great and inexpansive tube screamer variant.

I use a TS9 (level maxed, gain at zero, tone at 12) with my DC 10 and it really tightens up the amp, addes some gain.

Ive tried other ODs, most seem to work very well. I find it is a must.

I run a regular stock ts9 the one you can buy from anywhere but I put in a IC socket and use some different chips Texas instruments rc4558p and JRC4558 which both sound alot better than stock. I put resistors in to make it like the 808 and noticed no difference even with NOS resistors i think the resistors are snake oil but that's up to you. The chip makes a huge difference than the stock one though. I am no tech either I cant solder for **** but with some desoldering braid and a somewhat steady hand it was surprisingly easier then I thought caveman simple after you figure out what your doing. So I suggest you keep that 808 and try new chips It will cost you less than 5$ with shipping if you find the right person to sell a socket and some new chips and if you want 2 resistors.

I just don't see what the problem is with the current-production TS9. It does what it's supposed to and sounds good in the process.

I don't actually own an OD pedal yet. I tried a friends 808. I like the suggestions because I'm trying to decide what will be affordable and give me the best performance for my amp

There are tons of options, obviously, but a couple of my favorites are the Barber Direct Drive, the Lizard Leg Flying Dragon Boost (a phenomenal clean boost), CMATMODS stuff, and the Mad Professor Sky Blue Overdrive. I have a DC-3, which is a little mid heavy and I think a standard TS-9/808 is usually pushing more mids, so I like a flatter frequency response to not push certain frequencies, just give it more gain. I'm a fan of clean boost for that. I have always had great luck with the Barber Direct Drive for adding boost and gain without adding too much color. That being said, I have a good friend who has a DC-5 and he uses a Boss Blues Driver that I modified for him as his boost/gain pedal and he absolutely loves it. The mod I did opened up the frequency response and I think flattened the EQ a bit so that you hear the guitar and the amp, not the pedal so much. If you go the route of the Blues Driver, I would be more than happy to mod it for you if you would like. Anyway, that is part of the fun of amps, always trying to "make it sound better"! Good luck!

Back