Les Paul Studio + F100 = no fun

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

no soul

Reaction score
I just picked up a nearly new LP studio from a buddy a few days ago.

Ive been running it through my recto, the suckers got the Les Paul punch in SPADES!

Well today I finally ran it through my F-100 combo, and I was incredibly disapointed to say the least.

I usually go for really thick metal style distortion for all things rock regardless, and the mud and flubbyness were just out of control with my regualr settings, which to be fair were done with an ESP viper loaded w/ EMGs, so its pretty **** different from a Les Paul.

Even after adjusting my settings I managed to tone things out a bit, but the low end and lower midrange response was still just incredibly woofy sounding.

I got some pretty nice singing lead sounds, and the cleans were AMAZING, but I just couldnt dial anything nice for jus good ol power chord riffing. I think I may have better results if I run the F-100 through my Marshall 4x12, but I just cant help feel that these two wont be playing together very often in the future.

Sorry about the experience, man. Ahhh the EMGs are way brighter than those 498s the LP has stuffed into the bridge. You may want to consider a brighter pickup for the LP if you want the F100 and the LP to be your main rig.

fdesalvo said:
Sorry about the experience, man. Ahhh the EMGs are way brighter than those 498s the LP has stuffed into the bridge. You may want to consider a brighter pickup for the LP if you want the F100 and the LP to be your main rig.

Not only are the EMGs brighter than the 498, but my viper is loaded with 81s, and the bass response is almost non-existant, which results in a really tight bass sound for chords and what not.

I am really tempted to toss an 81 (maybe a 60a in the neck) in the LP, but I kinda rationalized getting this guitar as a more old school passive alternative, yet similar in features and natural acoustic response, to my Viper.

I actually just spent more time messing arround with the F-100 and LP today, and after some more adjustments got it dialed in a lot more, but I think a pink DiMarzio superdistortionII is the future for this guitar.

Thats a hard decision! On one hand the LP and Recto are a match made in heaven. But! You'd compromise that quality if using it with the F100. Man...

You may be able to find a nice humbucker that will give you a compromise between the two if you want to use the LP with both. Definitely find something brighter!

I play the same guitar as you do, but through a TSl halfstack. One day I'll get an f100 or MKIV, but in the meantime...I don't like the open and raw sound of the 498T. I actually like the compressed and smooth sound of a pup like the Tone Zone, but I understand that it may not fair well in a LP. So, for now, the LP is stock.

OT, but if you get a chance to install a Graph Tech nut, do it! I had very horrible tuning stability on the Gibbo until I had this installed. It made a significant improvement in tuning - the pinging sounds are gone when I tune. Next up will be soem locking SPerzels.

fdesalvo said:
OT, but if you get a chance to install a Graph Tech nut, do it! I had very horrible tuning stability on the Gibbo until I had this installed. It made a significant improvement in tuning - the pinging sounds are gone when I tune. Next up will be soem locking SPerzels.

Actually mine is incredibly stable. Its almost as stable as my viper, which has an Earvana nut (even better than graphtech) and sperzels. I dont even have the typical 3+3 G string problem, which my viper has.

Regardless of that, if I end up gigging out a lot with my new band (for which the LP is my main axe) then she will definitely get an earvana nut and sperzels (or maybe planet waves).

Latest posts

Back