Leaving the herd.....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdortona

Reaction score
Well after much soul seraching and A/B ing, I traded in my LSS today. Simply was fed up with channel two (even with Reeder mod 1 and a variety of settings, no mid/some mid/ lots of mid etc, etc). This was my second LSS, as well as prior experience owning a LSC. Nonetheless, I'm still part of the Boogie family (with my Heartbreaker head). FWIW, I went with a Rivera Quiana and it seems to be a better sonic fit for me (at least at the moment). Despite my disatisfaction, I will continue to sing the praises of the Lonestar series amps as I ride off into the sunset :lol:

Matt

Sounds like it's too late, but you should give and old Maverick a try if you get a chance.

Honestly, it's not out of the question. I just wasn't able to track one down to play through, but considering how much of a gear junkie I am, you never know. The Quiana is easily to resell since Riveras tend to be a tad overpriced new. This week-end, I also picked up a pristine '94 series Twin Amp (the "evil Twin" that came before the Pro Tube series and after the Red Knob series) and that might be my goto gigging amp. Heavy as Hell but nothing sounds like a Twin (it's my 3rd one). I'll continue to keep my eyes open for a Mav (and a good chiropractor for after gigs) :lol: . Take care!

Matt

I am also leaving the LSC domain, but will be just across the hall in the Electradyne camp. Loved the LSC cleans, but never could really come to terms with the 2nd channel. My mint 2009 LSC is up for sale in the classifieds.

Good luck. I had an Electradyne for about a week and couldn't bond with it. It's a nice amp and the crunch tone with that punchy bass response is killer, but for me, the Lone Star is much more versatile, touch dynamic, and has a singing, vocal quality the Electradyne just couldn't provide. Also, I have no problem with channel 2 on the Lone Star like some on this board seem to. I get killer mid gain blues tones and huge gain as needed. Both great amps. Boogie makes great amps that fulfill different needs and tastes. Enjoy.....

Thanks for the good vibes guys! :D We'll see what happens with the Rivera. However, I'm still jonesing bad to try out a Maverick :lol:

Matt

ziehmrd said:
Good luck. I had an Electradyne for about a week and couldn't bond with it. It's a nice amp and the crunch tone with that punchy bass response is killer, but for me, the Lone Star is much more versatile, touch dynamic, and has a singing, vocal quality the Electradyne just couldn't provide. Also, I have no problem with channel 2 on the Lone Star like some on this board seem to. I get killer mid gain blues tones and huge gain as needed. Both great amps. Boogie makes great amps that fulfill different needs and tastes. Enjoy.....

Yeah, it's funny how personal taste works- I had the LSC for a year, and just felt something was missing for me, and found it within moments of trying an Electradyne. I am now going through a period where I can compare both amps directly (until the LSC gets sold), and find that the cleans are pretty close. While the ED's Hi/Lo completely satisfies me even for leads, the LSC ch 2 sounds kinda "wooly" to me. Funny thing is, I recently found some interesting high gain tones on the LSC with the Treble turned all the way off. Both are great amps, it's all a matter of what you are looking for....!

Well, after snagging the Rivera, I traded it about a week later. The "Marshall" channel sound horribly harsh/spikey once you turned it up a little AND it would not do lower gain - pretty much 0-60. Picked up an Egnater Renegade and a Tourmaster 2x12 cab and the clean channel was quite good. The OD channel does some nice high gain, but (again) losses stuff on the lower gain. Great features like the footswitchable EFX loop, tube blending, and channel boost. Anyway, after some more time and field testing (i.e. with my set-up and my band), I'm coming back to Boogie. The new Transatlantic sounded pretty good in the store last week-end, so it's between that and a Maverick (once I sell the Egnater rig). I'm thinking that the Mav may give me the best compromise of clean, pushed, and dirty, but the Transatlantic's portability and options are equally tempting. So that the latest episode.......... stay tuned :lol:

Matt

For me it was LSC sound traded for an Electra Dyne with EL-34 type tubes. As things evolved, it turned into NOS preamps and Sylvania 6CA7 power tubes in the ED. A Genz-Benz G-flex 2x12 cab loaded with MS-12 Black Shadows seals the deal. A Fulltone OCD pedal has come into the mix, as of late. This is a very good contrast/compliment amp to the Mark series Boogies. 8)

mdortona said:
Well, after snagging the Rivera, I traded it about a week later. The "Marshall" channel sound horribly harsh/spikey once you turned it up a little AND it would not do lower gain - pretty much 0-60. Picked up an Egnater Renegade and a Tourmaster 2x12 cab and the clean channel was quite good. The OD channel does some nice high gain, but (again) losses stuff on the lower gain. Great features like the footswitchable EFX loop, tube blending, and channel boost. Anyway, after some more time and field testing (i.e. with my set-up and my band), I'm coming back to Boogie. The new Transatlantic sounded pretty good in the store last week-end, so it's between that and a Maverick (once I sell the Egnater rig). I'm thinking that the Mav may give me the best compromise of clean, pushed, and dirty, but the Transatlantic's portability and options are equally tempting. So that the latest episode.......... stay tuned :lol:

Matt
Some people are never satisfied :mrgreen: Have you tried the MK V? I think it's the closest to the best of both worlds....

I had tried the MK V in GC when it first came out and didn't like it. Way too many options and bells and whistles for me. I used to own a MKIV and for some reason (most likely in my head) it never sounded the same twice. Get a great tone, move to another location, didn't sound the same. I think that my next investment is going to be therapy and maybe some good meds :lol: :lol:

Matt

Latest posts

Back