Lead Voicings for MK IV - 2 Different ones

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NUGENTRULES!

Reaction score
Hi fellow Boogie Fanatics:

I have a question regarding the MK IV lead voicing. When I got my MK IV I went to Mesa's East Coast Artist Rep, a guy named Mark Snyder (I believe he went on to become Vernon Reid's guitar tech and now builds big "rack" systems). We were in a studio in Rockaway Beach/Far Rockaway, NY and he had a whole storeroom full of cabinets, speakers & Chassis. Anyway, I got to pick my Imbuya cab (he had an *AMAZING* zebrawood cabinet that he wouldn't sell me; he said the wood was proving to be too weak/fragile, but I think he was keeping it for himself!) and my speaker ( I chose a 90w Celestion Black Shadow over the stock EV) and then he let me choose the chassis. I say "choose" the chassis because there were 2 different versions of the MK IV chassis available. He had 2 huge rack systems there and in one he had 2 MK IV's. He told me that there were 2 distinct lead voicings available for the MK IV. If I remeber correctly (this was a long time ago) he said that the standard lead voicing was based on the lead channel of the MK IIC, whereas the "custom" option was based more on the newly-released Dual Rectifier. Now, I'm wondering if anyone else has any info/experience on this issue. I chose the higher-gain version and I *THINK* that was the "less-common" version, but I don't ever recall Mesa/Boogie mentioning this in any of their ads or literature. Can any of you shed any light on this subject?

Loudly,

David in NJ

Latest posts

Back