Laney AOR Pro Tube 100 Head?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktulucaller

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I know someone who has one of these for sale. I know they are very reasonable price wise, but I do not know much about them sound wise. They seem like a hot rodded Marshall sound?

If anyone can give me some input as to what the sound is like and what sounds can be achieved? Thanks

Oh yeah I play a DC-10 head and I play all kinds of hard rock/ metal, everything from UFO/Motorhead - LOG/Metallica

That is a hard call. Much like a Marshall sounds like a Marshall a Laney always sounds like a Laney. Hiwatt sounds like Hiwatt and Sound City sounds like Sound City. They all have that British tube amp sound but for what it is worth it sounds like itself. Sure you can cop some Marshall type sounds out of it but just think of it as a not as expensive British tube amp alternative to buying a more expensive one. Don't get me wrong here, a Laney is a respectable amp and as a quality tube amp it will create some nice tones. I would not consider it a hotrodded Marshall but more of Laney's take on a hotrodded Laney. I would say keep your DC-10 for what you play. If you were however playing more stuff in the lines of 80's metal and glam then it might be an idea to pick it up just for kicks.

I am not sure how true this rumor is but I've read some horror stories of the AOR series trannies failing(as if it were some phenomenon). This is probably due to many factors and one of them is most likely abuse but, it is too hard to pin point it. I owned one for a couple of months but sold it due to having modifications when I bought it and I didn't really care for the preamps tone. The power section, however, with my Peavey Rockmaster Preamp was 80's heaven. I could have kept it just for that and would have been satisfied but I decided it was too much to keep just for the power section.

The Laney AOR Series, Peavey VTM, and Peavey Butcher are a few amps that were all designed and used in the JCM 800 era.

Laney's AOR pro tube 100 does classic rock well(specifically hair metal)but they can be VERY UNRELIABLE.as far as the sound goes imagine the the smooth crunch of a Mesa MKIIc+ with a more british character to the soundlike a plexi.the eq is passive or active(pull knob out)but in active mode with lows way up and the master above 5 you WILL BLOW YOUR SPEAKERS!!!!!!!!however you can definitely get a "and justice for all" type sound out of this amp......however this amp WILL NOT give you any kind of a decent modern rock sound

if you want some examples:

DIO- Holy diver,Last in Line,,Sacred Heart
Vinnie Moore-Minds Eye,Time Odessey
Ritchie Kotzen-Fever Dream
Dave Ulrich-"anything" by this artist

hope this helps.....don't hesitate to ask if you have more questions

Latest posts

Back