Just spent over an hour trying to improve my clean tone-RK1

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tele_jas

Reaction score
And I think I stumbled on to something that I never thought I'd like. If you have a single coil guitar try these settings and let me know if they sound good to you?:

* Channel: 1
* Mode: Fat
* EQ: everything at 12:00
* Gain: 2:00-5:00 (depending on how much grit you want when you hit it hard....I run mine all the way up)
* Tubes: 4 6L6's and 2 EL34's
* Reverb around 1:00

I've been using the Tweed mode for the last 6 months and it just felt flat, the Fat mode rounds out the tone and the EL34's keep it from sounding too scooped out (along with the mids at 12:00) and adds some top end chime.

I'm trying these settings out live tonight, I'll let you know how the sound/feel.... But I still want to hear if you like that setting too.

Follow up:

I think I found the tone I've been looking for!! The settings above worked perfetly at a show with the band last weekend, but the real test was the acoustic show I just finished playing (yeah a Dual Rectifier may have been a little "over-kill" but I wanted to try my new clean settings out in the purest form, my acoustic duo). It had the snap, bite, chime and low end "sag"/compression that I've been looking for all along since I first got this amp. It also had just enough breakup with the gain set at 100% to make it sound like an old Fender set on the verge of breakup that crosses the barrier when you hit the strings hard.

Don't let the "Fat" mode scare you, just use your ears when you dial in the tone and it'll work wonders. I'm gonna try to record it tomorrow so I can see how it compares and so I can share it with everyone that wants to hear it.

Man it's late, I gotta get to bed!

TJ

Hey Tele_jas,

Sounds interesting. I'll try it to see how it sounds. Are you running your amp bold or spongy? Also, you are using both tube types. Are you running Triode or Pentode?

I've been trying to dial in a different clean tone and just wanted to see where you were going with it.

Hey Brewski!!

All available power tubes are being used (4 6L6's and 2 EL34's), it's in spongy mode and since all the tubes are being used I think it automatically switches to solid state rectifier. I'm extremely happy with what I'm hearing. I haven't really tried it with humbuckers, just with Telecsters.

Let me know what you think?

I'll be sure to give it a try. I've been using 2 6L6's and bold. What I found was that it is too punchy and falls off too quickly. (If that makes any sense) I switch between electric and acoustic and am looking for something that will work for both.

Be sure to update how you like the acoustic tone. Have a great weekend and a great gig, if you have one tonight.

Latest posts

Back