Just retubed my Prophecy, 2:Fifty, and my new Roadster 2x12

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe187

Reaction score
Hey Al,

i just retubed both my rack setup and my Roadster combo. I used JJ's from Eurotubes and took Bob's recommendations for my Prophecy (a hot ECC83S to replace the stock 12ax7). I also replaced all of the tubes in my 2:Fifty with ECC83S and 6L6GC. The rack is incredible! It is like buying a whole new setup. The gain benefit is astonishing, and the crystal cleans are superb. Bright and Chimey. I was shocked - both my humbucker guitars and my single coils sound dramatically better. These are into 2 2x12 Boogie Recto cabs - stunning bottom end. Shakin the house. The gain is almost too much. I have had to dial back on the input levels, particularly on presets I typically use for Strat quack type of tones. They were too hot after the swap. Hi Gain stuff is simply stunning. My PRS rips, and my San Dimas is perfect. I am really psyched.

I also decided to retube my brand new Roadster 2x12 combo. I ordered the "Bob's favorite" set of pre's and power tubes, gold hi gain ECC803s for V1, gold hi gain ECC83s for 2 and regular hi gain ECC83S for 3,4, and 5. I got a balanced ECC83S for the inverter (V6). The power tubes are 2 matched KT77's in the outside and 2 matched 6V6s in the inside. The rectifiers are GZ34.

To be honest I haven't seen as much of an improvement in the Roadster. It is definitely better, but I need to play with it some more before i say it is worth the cash.

I know many of you know this already, but the guys at Eurotubes are phenomenal.

Back