Just got a Rectoverb -any suggestions on some good settings?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi everyone - I'm new to the board today and have just got myself a series 2
rectoverb combo 1x12. To put it mildly, I'm very very impressed with it. It
blows the Blackstar ht 40 I bought recently out of the water : more depth to the
tone, versatility and the bass projection from a 1x12 cab is amazing.
Also, I had my tech do the series mod on the effects loop as my Line 6 M13
was making some very weird noises in the parallel loop but all is good now.

My question is; any good settings suggestions to start to try and sample the
variety of what this amp has to offer ? I'm only just now discovering that
it has a powerful eq section on both channels.

I use a Musicman Luke guitar and have a Maxon VOP 9 as well which I run in the front.

cheers everybody !

There's plenty of suggestions and ideas. Use the search function. Use keywords "rectoverb", "EQ", "boost pedal" and whatever else you can think of that's relevant. Make sure that you search in the 'rectifier' section otherwise you'd get hits from the entire site... up to you. I search entire site if I can't find what I want in the 'rectifier' section.

There's lots of information available. The more you read and soak in, the better for you. When I started, I searched and read a heap of stuff, noted interesting things on paper, bookmarked threads and so on. Comes in handy if you forget where some good information lives.

Reading threads on the dual/triple rectifiers is good, too, as some suggestions are relevant and can be of use to their baby brother.

Here's a couple of links to get you started:
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=48501&start=15

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19660
Read page 4 of 4 for a setup I was running but have since changed to Winged C EL34's..... but read the entire thread anyway (started in 2007!)

Take note that a good EQ is used by a number of guys here, usually in the loop, or out front or both. I only point it out as it may be something you may consider if you're having trouble with your tone. Anyway, it's an option. Another good place to start is with the manual. There's suggestions for settings. Download if you don't have it from Mesa's site.

Take your time and don't worry where the dials sit, ie. zero or '10'. Best advise I've read on this site is "close your eyes and use your ears." Forget the numbers. Also, Mesa's take time to dial in. The tone controls are interactive unlike other amps, ie. turn the treble dial up and the bass/mids get lower, turn the treble down and the bass/mids get more pronounced. The treble dial is the key here for the rectos. Watch your presence, too. If it sounds too fizzy, turn it down to zero or up to around 9oclock. I've got mine at ~8oclock. You'll read all about it in threads anyway.

It's a beast of an amp and if you look after it, it'll look after you.

Have fun.

brilliant - many thanks for all the info there and it's really started me on my
way to getting some of the tones I'm after !
cheers - Simon

Back