JP2C vs Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatbagg

Reaction score
Hey errbody, got a few questions...

Quick rundown. I've been using a Mesa mark IV A and B for about 15 years, I love it. I've been through way too many amps, marshalls, Diezel, cornfords, fryette, bogner, other mesas, lone star, express, etc... I always keep my mark IV, however. I did own a mark V for a few months, found it to be tighter, a bit too "hi-fi ", not as fat, slinky, warm or harmonically rich as my IV, for my application. I have owned a real IIC+, and loved it. I got rid of it because while it had the best fat, singing unique lead tone, it was a struggle on stage due to versatility.

My question, how is the JP2c against the mark IV in terms of that wonderful fat, warm, harmonically laden liquid, slippery almost elastic lead tone? Does it sound more like a IV or 2c+, or a V? I like a very clean clean tone (less breakup than even the IV), but an almost loose, yet clean, fat midrange heavy lead tone. I don't play much "metal", but I do use pretty high gain, I play a lot of lead oriented music and instrumentals.

Here's my old IIC+
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hy6Jom3CmRM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5E7hrsXtDDM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5CaM2-XqjeY

Here's my IV
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b9pWkqDgLUE

Hey man, I don't have an answer to your question, just wanted to say I remember you posting that second IIc+ clip on the Rig-Talk forum awhile back (I remember the inverted V on the graphic eq). Great tone and equally great playing. :p

The JP is NOT a V. I hated the V, and I love the JP. It is supposedly pretty close to a IIC+, with some minor caveats.

I don't know how close it is to a IV, but I doubt it is close. It is supposed to be a IIC+ done right. It's super tight, so I don't think I'd call it "slippery". I don't think it has the broad harmonic character of the IV, which I think is unique.

Shredi knight, thanks! Part of the reason I play boogies is the undeniable tone, but an even bigger part is the feel, response, it lets me be me.

Elvis, glad to hear it's not a V... The v is a great amp, but I could not mesh with it. Didn't sound as fat as my IV. While the amp was tight and focused, it was also brighter in ch 3 to my ears. Something about it just wasn't right.

Hopefully something here has played the jp2c and IV. My main concern is the jp2c being brighter or harsher than the IV. MY IIC+ (Simul) was soooo smooth, nothing harsh about it...but how was the one Petrucci used as the model for this, which I believe was 60/100, the edgier of the two.

What did you prefer about the IV? Was the jp2c brighter, stiffer,?

I agree with Stephen...you really need to try the JP with your gear/guitar if possible. I had the JP for a month and just could not bond with it. It sounded GREAT, but just wasn't for me. I still prefer my Mk V and it's versatility. While I had the JP, I was able to gig with it 3 times and really open it up. It's got a huge fat singing tone. The clean channel was unbelievable...wish I could of kept the amp just for clean playing. I just prefer the immediate attack and note onset of my V (and III+) better. Hope this helps, even though I didn't have a IV.

Smitty, that does help actually. One thing I couldn't jive with on the V was how immediate and tight it was. The IV is "looser" feeling. Not as tight as the V overall, but a more rounded, bigger tone. So, in you saying you liked the V over the JP partially due to the "quick and tight" response, that sounds like th JP might have a more spongy fat feel to it.

You're using all the right adjectives. I think you're on track for knowing what to expect from the JP2C. Sorry, I also haven't played the iv. But we did go over the differences in feel between the JP and the V in detail in MrSmittys honeymoon thread. I will say the JP has the best lead tone I've ever heard in an amp. It's very rich and incredibly smooth sounding. It definitely sings. A lot less edgy and sharp and sometimes even harsh than the V can be. I really can't imagine a simul version being any smoother than the JP already is. :p Hopefully a iv guy can weigh in here. Do you live near a dealer? It's definitely worth a test drive if you can find one pretty close to you.

I put a JP2C right on top of my Mark IVB head and while it was an awesome sounding amp it just wasnt awesome enough for me to sell my IV for one. The clean was nicer on the JP2C. But I could dial in my IVs lead channel to sound very similar to channel 2 on the JP2C. Then to emulate the 3rd channel I just run a graphic EQ in the effects loop of my IV. If I didnt already have the IV I would definately get the JP2C. But it wasnt so mind blowing that I absolutely had to have it. This is all my opinion and definately check one out if you get the chance because they are great amps. Just wish the effects loop was footswitchable.

If you did not have the IV, and were buying one, which would it be? Everyone seems to agree about the cleans being outstanding. I am one of the few that loves the ch2 on the mark IV, though it never works out well when gigging. If the jp2c can sound like a real IIC+, but also emulate a similar mark IV, I'd be beyond stoked. I don't like the fact that you can't foot switch the loop, being that I don't use midi.

I like the voicing and more raw sound of the IV. I like all the Mark's... The IV just fits me best.

fatbagg I live in Seattle. A Sharp Music in Renton has a JP-2C last time I went in there a few weeks ago. Go check it out. I would call them to see if they still have it and bring your main guitar. It's a great amp. The other place that might have one is The Guitar Store .... On 83rd and north HWY 99.

If I didnt already own the Mark IV i would get the JP2C. No doubt. But I really like the Mark IV. Ive tried to replace it in the past but nothing quite seems to take its place. What would sell me on the JP over the IV is the 3 very useable channels. I dont care at all for channel 2 on the IV.

Used to own a IV and loved it, had it about a year before I sold it for an Axe Fx. The JP-2C is badass but they don't sound/feel the same. Listen to Redneck by LoG or Constant Motion by DT. That's Mark IV all day! Love that amp and might get one again. It's darker and a little more compressed than the 2C and I remember it being slightly more aggressive. All boils down to what you prefer/need since both amps have great tones.

Yes, I still have my Mark IV, doubt I'll ever sell it again! It's hard to tell with the jp2c, as I play with my treble lower than most, and my mids higher. My EQ setting is a frown, not a classic V, opposite pretty much every video out!

Latest posts

Back