It seems like the LSS might be the amp for me. (Slight rant)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Humbucker

Reaction score
Yesterday, I suffered through an hour of music store warfare, you know the scene. Everything is pretty quiet throughout the store, so you take a chance and plug into an amp that looks promising, in this case a Lone Star Special, and start trying out the amp at very reasonable volumes, then right away, out of nowhere, there's a monkey plugging into an Orange half-stack right next to you, he even smells bad :lol: . And he seems hell-bent on blowing you away with his awesomeness (actually, the dude can hardly play but he doesn't know that apparently but he sure is loud). :wink:

Then, there's a girl that plugs a bass guitar in and starts playing the bass line to Queen's "another bites the dust" loudly for about fifteen minutes straight! (What's that all about?). And then some ***-hat at the other side of the store cranks up a synthesizer with a "banjo" patch of all things and he plays the same melody for about twenty minutes without a break. I don't know how the store employees keep their sanity! :mrgreen:

So as all of this B.S. is going on, I unplug and walk around the store for a bit and as I'm almost ready to bail, the noise calms down again. I go ahead and give it another try and within the next 10 minutes of trying out the LSS 1x12" against an Express 5:50 1x12" and a Mark V half-stack, I figured out that the Mark V might be too much for me. The Express 5:50 seems like a nice amp but there's just something about that LSS. It's just oozing with tone!

Bare in mind that these are being tested at volumes that you could talk over, so I didn't give it a really proper test. I wish that I could open her up for awhile and get a better idea. I know a couple of the guys that work there. Maybe I can get in there when they're really slow and get in a proper test without bothering too many people.

I have a question regarding the Express 5:25, the one with the EL-84s, would that one get into the Lone Star Special's sonic territory when you switch the 5:25 on to the 5 watt mode? It's in Class A mode at that point and is running the same tubes as the LSS.

Dude: get the LoneStar Special. I've gigged with mine for the past 3 years and it is incredible. I play mostly country, rock and blues. The amp does it all. I would recommend buying the head, and then getting a custom cabinet from AVATAR. I bought the Contemporary, 1x12, with a Hellatone 60. I've put a lot of homework into this recommendation. I assure you that you will be very happy with your purchase.

I like my LSS, but was never a fan of the stock MC90 in the combo version. I eventually replaced it with a G12M-25 and am much, much happier.

the Lone Star series rocks! I have both models and they are very different, but both are wonderful. With the LSC I can get Derek and the Dominos blues tones, really clean and warm jazz tones. The LSS has a more aggressive biting tone the Overdrive channel screams. I am playing a 70 Strat 78 BC Rich Mockingbird and an 89 Les Paul. They all sound great through these amps. If you can demo an LSC you should. IMO the tonal options available make it worth the extra $$. Have fun!

I like the Express amps just fine. Useful, fun amps.
I just think the Lone Stars make them look like toys.

Latest posts

Back