is the Trem-o-Verb for me?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalmike23

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a new amp. I'm either going with mesa or the randall mts series. The problem being that im a little tight on cash so I was wondering if the trem-o-verb combo would be sufficent as an amp for shred lead tones (think Becker, Rusty Cooley, Yngwie, Petrucci.) as well as tight rhythms. Thanks you guys.
--Mike

The Mesa isn't what I'd call a "shred" amp. If you look at most shredders, they use processed signals and oddball configurations. Petrucci is a slightly different animal and I wouldn't necessarily use him as a benchmark for tone.

That being said, the Trem is supposedly very versatile but would probably need a pedal of some sort for shred level sounds. (help me out here TeleJas 8) )

The reason I say this about Mesa's is that I've played compressed, gainey amps most of my days, sacrificing tone but getting an ease of note movement that was essential for my style of playing at the time. Even if complimented on my playing, I NEVER got complimented on my tone. I didn't care, I needed to play my licks. I see the same issue with most shred setups. I can't honestly say I like the tone of Dimebag, Wylde, Cooley, Yngwie,etc. I do like Satch and Vai, who also use some processing to get their tone using Soldanos, Marshalls, Peaveys and Carvins. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you're "shredding" the Mesa tone may not be that much of an issue and there are probably a ton of amps that will get the job done.

metalmike23 said:
I'm looking to get a new amp. I'm either going with mesa or the randall mts series. The problem being that im a little tight on cash so I was wondering if the trem-o-verb combo would be sufficent as an amp for shred lead tones (think Becker, Rusty Cooley, Yngwie, Petrucci.) as well as tight rhythms. Thanks you guys.
--Mike

I'm here.......

The T-verb is a great amp, period :!:

It all depends on what you definiton of "shred" is?? It also depends on your guitar?? With a hot humbucker guitar, You can get some real fluid, saturated tones from it in the Vintage mode that are great for soloing and shred. You can even back off the gain a bit, or not, and use a Tubescreamer with it to give you more saturation.

As far as a tight bottom, the T-verb is essentially a Dual Rectifier (with reverb and tremolo) and can thump but has that famous Rectifier low end mush (for lack of better words). I say mush in a loving way, chords sound amazing as do the leads, but a tight rhythm gets a little flabby. EL34 will help tighten up the bottom end some, but it still sounds like a rectifier.

For a high gain amp, the T-verb has a great clean tone and does low to med gain very well too. After the Road King, the T-verb is my favorite Boogie and I'd love to have anothre one someday..... and just very well may :wink:

In the mean time, if you wanna hear some recto clips.... you can hear a few on my little guitar site at www.guitartest.moonfruit.com , just go to the Road King clips and give the top clip a listen. That's all Dual Rectifier in the Vintage mode using 6L6's at a fairly low volume. The rest of the clips are RK exclusives.

I guess what I should have included was I hate most shred tones. I want to achieve a great sounding shred tone like petrucci manages to do. You can get all (or at least most) these guys tones (Cooley, Fareri) by simply putting the prescence so far up on any amp that it almost blurs the notes together. That tone flat out sucks. The best rhythm tone would be petrucci's and lead would probably also be petrucci as well as yngwie. I'm trying to achieve a good but at the same time shredable tone. I need to know how I can go about doing that. I'm playing a JEM7v by the way.
--Mike

In the mean time, if you wanna hear some recto clips.... you can hear a few on my little guitar site at www.guitartest.moonfruit.com , just go to the Road King clips and give the top clip a listen. That's all Dual Rectifier in the Vintage mode using 6L6's at a fairly low volume. The rest of the clips are RK exclusives.[/quote]

Your tone is very nice. Could I achieve something similar with the T-verb? How does it react to fast runs?

tele_jas said:
In the mean time, if you wanna hear some recto clips.... you can hear a few on my little guitar site at www.guitartest.moonfruit.com , just go to the Road King clips and give the top clip a listen. That's all Dual Rectifier in the Vintage mode using 6L6's at a fairly low volume. The rest of the clips are RK exclusives.

How low of a volume were those played at?

BTW Dude, is that track on there 'Gone' by your band. It's awsome! :shock: Anymore like it?

Thanks
-Conor D-

metalmike23 said:
Your tone is very nice. Could I achieve something similar with the T-verb? How does it react to fast runs?

Thanks!

You could get that tone with a T-verb very easily and as far as fast runs, they're all defined but still sound fluid-y if that makes sence? The Vintage mode on a rectifier has one of the best, fattest lead tones in my opinion for rock/hard rock music. I don't have any fast runs recorded (maybe some live ones, but I'd have to search for them), mainly because I'm too sloppy to play fast for a recording :lol: ...... but live I can pull it off, since slop counts. :wink:

FYI, Petrrucci uses Road Kings now for leads and rhythms. Malmsteen uses Marshalls, but with a pedal in front of the amp. So theoretically you could get Petrucci's tone pretty easy.

You could get that tone with a T-verb very easily and as far as fast runs, they're all defined but still sound fluid-y if that makes sence? [/quote]

Thanks alot.. I really think I'm gonna go for one then. Now all I have to do is find one... thnaks again
-Mike

Latest posts

Back