Is the tight sound of a mark from the power amp section or?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shredding

Reaction score
I wondered if the mark series' tightness compared to the Rectos is b/c of the poweramp section or rather the gain structure in the preamp section. A mystery to me. I never tried plugging in my mark IV's pre out into the recto's power amp. It might sound very interesting. Anyone has done this before?

Without getting too technical, it has to do with both the gain structure and the power amp including the output transformer. The OT is always a major factor in the amps overall tone.

I have done the opposite, Rectifier preamp (a Rec Pre, actually) into Mark Simulclass poweramp. Oddly, doesn't sound very good. Vintage mode on the Recto just ended up sounding like Lead on the Mark with a little more saturation and less sustain and sensitivity, and Modern lacks bass response and just sort of sounds like all the bad stuff about Engls (sterile, dry, artificial) with none of the good stuff (punch, clarity, saturation.) Cleans were okay at low volumes but the Rec Pre's output volumes are very high and it was really easy to start the EL34s breaking up.

well, I have't played a recto through my mark power section, but I played the triaxis through the marks power section, but the triaxis sounds much better along with the fifty/fifty.

I would say the tightness of an amp typically comes from the preamp. And, like mule#1 said, the basic tone (not eq'ing) typically comes from the power section.

the power section of the mk's are about a million times tighter than the dual's..with the mk 's the transformers are bigger, there is more power on tap and it is voiced for a tighter smoother sound!.

Tom

I've played my Quad through my RK power section. I must say I liked the results. Just gave it a modern twist. A little hair and more bottom end, but still tight. I really liked it on spongy and the recto tubes engaged, soupy heaven. :)

I haven't tried slaving my RK through my 50/50 just yet, one day.

Am I getting this right? This guy shredding has a Dual Rectifier and a Mark IV sitting around his computer desk and he chooses the keyboard to ask if anyone ever put the Mark IV's preamp into the Dual Rectifiers poweramp and how it would turn out? It's a crazy world, I guess. Well, here's my generous offer: ship them to me, I'll tell you!

Latest posts

Back