is the LSC "dumblesque"?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

optoguitar

Reaction score
i've never played a dumble, i have had the pleasure of hearing sonny landreth
play through his, (pointed right at my head) a few times. (wow)!
the lsc is highly touch sensitive, clean or dirty, even moreso on the 100 watt setting.
this is what causes some players to be indifferent to the dumble thing. players that specialize in "finesse" tend to tout the dumble. any lsc'ers actually tried a dumble? also, i've discovered that using the reverb seems to contribute to any low mid "mud". try turning it off! like all amps with real tone, it sounds just dandy with none.
[/i]

Never tried a Dumble. I haven't seen or heard one either in a live setting. The first Dumble I ever saw listed on Ebay was last week, a Super Overdrive. Bidding started at $15,000. I don't have that kind of change layer around the house.
I was demoing a new guitar a few weeks back. I ran it thru some nice amps. Carr Rambler, Fender TRRI, Bad Cat, Bogner Shiva, Dr Z Rt 66, Dr Z Maz 38. There are some of the sweetest amps available listed there. My test drive was centered on the guitar and I tried these amps for maybe 15 minutes each.

Not fair to make a final judgement on them other than to say none of them impressed me as having any big appeal over the LSC. A longer demo is certainly in order, but why? I couldn't be happier than I am with my LSC.

The cool thing about Dumble's are the articulation and clarity of them. If you have bad technique it will spill the beans on you BAD! I tried one in Austin at a boutique music store( the name elludes me at the moment) and it was a enlightening experience. The worst thing is the price...I don't think I'm up for throwing down the cash when I could buy a very well equipped SUV.

Hermida zendrive pedal will get you close to the Dumble overdrive sound, if that is what you are looking for - and less than $200!

You could spend the money on a Dumble, or buy a car, and a "Two Rock", or a "Divided by 13" which make dumble clones.

If you have not tried a Two rock, you are doing yourself a major disservice. they are fantastic... but pricey. Which is the reason I have a LSS. My LSS was around $1700 out the door, but a two rock was about $4200 out the door. It's only money right? r i g h t.

Santana uses his Dumble's for his distortion tone. Of course, he has 4 or so of them and they are custom design!

I am certain they are fantastic, but some of the best music I ever heard has been through standard Mesa and Marshall equipment. Don't mind me, I'm just trying to keep from GAS'ing for a $15K amp!

I find the LSC to be a very forgiving amp. While everything I've read on Dumbles is that they have the characteristic like a Twin that is not very forgiving.

Can't compare tones since I've never played one but that quality right there would have the two amps feeling very differently.

However, despite being forgiving the LSC is very responsive. To me that is the great and unique combination of characteristics for the LSC to have. Add on to that an amazing ability to dial in a beautiful light break-up and I love it.

"However, despite being forgiving the LSC is very responsive. To me that is the great and unique combination of characters for the LSC to have. Add on to that an amazing ability to dial in a beautiful light break-up and I love it."

Ditto. Instead of spending $15G's on a Dumble, I would by a LSC in Bubinga with the wicker grill, get another Tom Anderson guitar, take some lessons and still have 10G's in my pocket. Dumble's are fine for players in the Ford, Mayer Santana, Johnson Bracket. I'm ok with an LSC.

Back