Is it true onboard EQ degrades tone?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elpelotero

Reaction score
I've recently been hearing this opinion and wanted to know what everyone thinks. Is it better to have an EQ pedal instead of an onboard EQ? Isn't this the feature that defines a Mark amp?

The best way to answer questions of this nature is to simply try it for your self.

I have 2 Mesas with onboard EQ. It won't degrade your tone if you set it right. It will definitely take some of your tone away if you don't set it right. Just experiment and set it where it adds to the tone and doesn't take it away.

As for the EQ in the Loop, this will only serve to add noise. I used to use the Boss GE-7 in the Loop. It worked very well, but the noise made me sell it. I am sure that there are other EQ's out there that don't make as much noise, but if you can get the amp you want with it built in, why wouldn't you?

Monsta-Tone said:
As for the EQ in the Loop, this will only serve to add noise.
Not true. My MXR M-108 10 band EQ pedal is dead quiet, as are many other EQ's both rack and pedal.

This sounds like that *** on E-Bay with the Simul-Reverb. His claims are sale propoganda so he can find some sucker. It is untrue. Some one posted that he was a clown.

Honestly, I find the amp quieter with the EQ engaged.

So I did the test, I have two C+'s, and one of them have the onboard eq, the other one doesn't.

I also have a boss Geq7, so I included it in the test, and even since I bought a new recto standard 4x12 TODAY, this cab is included in the test as well. 8)

The final result is that there is no difference, the fan makes most noise of it all, so be ready to buy a new fan.

And honestly, my Boss GEQ7 isn't making any noise, so, to me both works.

But the pros for the onboard eq, is that you can set it to auto, so it turns itself off, when you change to clean channel.

All of mine have the EQ. I still put a GE-7 through the loop and it has a totally different effect on the tone. It IMHO actually has more frequencies to tune. If I choose I can go onboard grahic, no EQ ( Which I hate) or no onboard and the GE-7. I have also used them both at the same time and the tone was crushing and brutal. Serious metal...

My heavy IIC+ tone is basically the speakers crying for mercy anyway, but with the GE-7 they try to jump out of the cabinet and rattle the walls.

Normally, I have a very smooth tone with a very big bottom end. Clear, but not brittle. I run the treble at 6 and the 6600 below the midline. I like how the lead tone has bite with singing highs for bends and endless sustain.

One of the cool things about having an eventide, is their open platform. Where you can design a preset just like you want.

So for instance, I made a graphic eq, that obeys midi CC messages, so again the C+ (or any amp) can have 10 different settings of graphic Eq recalled from a pedal board (without changing preset on the eventide)
Very conveniant, to make crushing heavy rhythms, and then turn down some highs and up the mids for "THE" lead sound.

It can resemble the dynamic voice from the triaxis, but you're not stuck with factory settings.

Just my 2 NKR's..... :lol:

Tony

Elpelotero said:
so is this eventide unit solely an EQ? it sounds sort of like a multi fx.

Eventide is a top of the line multi effect units, which can do all of the crazy stuff you can imagine, plus tons of more.
And it's also top of the line at price, so the buyers really know what they want when they go for one.
Though you'll never need anything else effectwise, especially if you get a H8000.

The entrance model Eclipse is not an open platform, and works a bit different than their bigger units. Not saying that the eclipse isn't any good, but there will be a little more compromising with it.
But all from DSP 7000, DSP 7500, Orville, H7600 and H8000, is open platform monster units, that blows you away if you haven't heard one. There are some earlier models as well, but they are not that powerful, and they're getting older for every day.

check out www.eventide.com for more info

T

Latest posts

Back