Is it possible to upgrade the reverb tank on the Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

primal

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Mark IV.
The guy I bought it from told me that he had disconnected the reverb tank and ran it through a pedal.
Once I hooked it up and played for a bit I found out why.

I absolutely love the Mark IV, However it has about the worst Reverb I have ever heard. Maybe I just got a bad one in that regard. It is unusable as far as I am concerned.

Nevertheless, has anyone ever replaced the reverb tank in there Mark IV with a better one?

I have no idea how standard the dimensions are, but I would have to think that the connections between reverb tanks are standard, is this not true?

When I compare the difference in the reverb sound from my Roadking to my Mark IV, it is night and day. And I have a Series 1 Roadking.

The Mark IV's reverb is a joke. I never used the reverb when I had it. Replacing the tank won't help. It's the reverb circuit that is the problem. If you want to replace it and find out for sure then you can pull the tank and use the part number stamped on the bottom to order a new one from Accutronic. Spring reverb is not for everyone and some spring reverb sounds better than others depending on the amp. The best i've heard from a Mesa is my old Roadster's reverb. That was awesome. My DC-3's is decent. Might change out the reverb tube for an AT7 (like the Mark IV) and see what diff that makes...

The MKIVa and the MKIVb used different tubes for the reverb. The A's used a 12AT7
and the B's used 12AX7's. The B's reverb is not good. The A's reverb I got sounding
awesome using a Mullard CV4024 for the reverb driver. In the end, I ended up
using a Lee Jackson Mr. Springgy reverb pedal for the MKIVb.

Well that sucks!

I have a Mark IVB.

Best route is probably to just grab a decent pedal.

And when I compare it to the Reverb on the Roadking which is just excellent IMO, wow what a difference.

You could try an Accutronics 9AB3A1B. It has a longer decay than the stock 9AB2A1B, and is cheaper than a pedal. Look for them under this ebay listing: http://cgi.ebay.com/Accutronics-Type-9-Spring-Reverb-Tank-NEW_W0QQitemZ360132509789QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Amp_Accessories?hash=item360132509789&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Reverb is a weak point in an awesome amp...will just changing the tube driver really make that much of a difference?

Back