Insulation in Thiele cab?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seanboy

Reaction score
I've heard some people say to put insulation in a thiele cab, and others say don't. What do you suggest? And if yes... What kind? Would it be okay to use foam, something similar to the egg frame style foam?

The TL806 build instructions say to line the inside with fiberglass insulation.

I'm also curious on this subject. My favorite guitarist (Trey Anastasio) has house insulation in his hard trucker cabs and I always wondered why? What is this supposed to accomplish?

it slows down the sound waves inside the cabinet and makes it sound like a bigger cab (takes the sound waves longer to reach the wood)

For some years ago I put insulation in a Marshall 4x12, and it went completely dead and sounded awful. So I have never been tempting to do that again.

sduck said:
It cuts down on slapback reflections between the parallel walls to prevent ringing.
^ This. Insulation can dampen "standing waves". You don't need to line every parallel wall, just half of them.
FWIW, I've never seen any insulation on the interior of any Mesa Thiele in the last 30 years I've used them. Just sayin'. YMMV.

thunda1216 said:
it slows down the sound waves inside the cabinet and makes it sound like a bigger cab (takes the sound waves longer to reach the wood)
I spit my coffee on my keyboard!!! I could use a time machine after last week.

MrMarkIII said:
sduck said:
It cuts down on slapback reflections between the parallel walls to prevent ringing.
^ This. Insulation can dampen "standing waves". You don't need to line every parallel wall, just half of them.
FWIW, I've never seen any insulation on the interior of any Mesa Thiele in the last 30 years I've used them. Just sayin'. YMMV.

Jeez, I was right? I thought we were all just making up stuff... That's what I did.

Latest posts

Back