Inductors in Mark series graphic EQ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbear

Reaction score
Does anyone know what type of inductors are used in the mark series graphic eq? I'd like to build a one in a footpedal to use in front of my amps (my boss ge-7 is WAYYY to noisy!!) I've built some audio stuff years ago and I thought this might be an easy project to put together between semesters, but I can't seem to find the correct spec inductors anywhere. Everything on mouser and digikey at 1 Henry is like $80 and weigh 10lbs. Obviously I don't know what I'm looking for. Can anyone clue me in? Can I buy these parts direct from Mesa? (I know some manufacturers will only sell to dealers or authorized techs.)

Thanks.

talk to boogiebabies or JVK. And as a personal side note, the EQ after the preamp affects the tone in a much greater way than before the preamp.

Read this:
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=9964&highlight=inductor

If you really wanted your GE-7 to be less noisy, I think there's a mod kit somewhere on the net for that purpose. Monte Allum's name comes to mind.

~trem

The inductors Mesa uses today are made by Falco Electronics in Mexico. The website is very confusing, so a call to them would probably work much better. Better yet, you can buy them from Mesa.

JVK, or Johnny winds his own.

How're you going to get -23v inside a pedal to power the circuit? Not as easy as you think. If you overcome that, then the inductors and the transistors are hard to find also, although you could probably find NOS or modern substitutes. Mesa might sell you the inductors if you're lucky, I know some people who tried but failed, otherwise try your Mesa service tech.

For the EQ circuit inside my own design tube amps (Oroboros Orion) I've wound my own inductors, but since this is time consuming I've started getting them custom made, which isn't cheap.

I'm new to Boss pedals, but its been said that hiss (noise to some) is inherent in upper frequency boost. If this is what you are referring to then maybe a noise suppressor is needed?

Here's a link to AnalogMans Boss GE-7 mods.

Thanks for the replies guys. My biggest question: Who would I contact at mesa to try to buy the inductors direct from them?

Also, getting -43v or so (not -23v) isn't going to be a problem, this will be a mains powered unit.

I have already sourced the transistors, also I doubt there would be much sonic difference using modern low noise audio transistors.

And I guess I misspoke about this project being a footpedal, it will probably be a box that sits on top of the amplifier so I'm not too concerned with size.

I did find what I'm guessing mesa uses on the falco website, but I doubt they would sell me five single inductors.

Winding my own is not an option. (Just because I don't want to)

I will contact a mesa tech to see if they can get some for me. I'll bet this is my best chance of getting what I need.

Latest posts

Back