Inconsistant tones out of my LSS...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firefly1235

Reaction score
When I like the tones coming out of my Lonestar Special...I LOVE them, it really is the best electric guitar tone I've ever had.

I dial it in in true LS fashion, fat, clear, singing, warm crunch without a lot of rough edges or grind. I've got my settings, I don't change them (I'm scared of losing the awesome sound I get!) and I'm happy with that.
However some days, without touching anything, the tone will be thin, muddy (sounds like an oxymoron, but it isn't) and grainy. Basically the polar opposite of what I get on "good days"

The problem is, when this happens I try and re-EQ to fix the problem, however that ruins the tone I had before the change happened.
One of the reasons I left my Marshalls and Voxes for Mesa in the first place was for consistency...and the tone is so good when it's good, I don't want to ditch this amp, but I just can't deal with such drastic changes from day to day.

Does anyone know what I can do to fix this problem? There's nothing internally wrong with the amp, I get it checked regularly, it has new tubes etc.
Anyone?

Sometimes it's as simple as the voltage present at your wall outlet. During certain times of day there can be more drain on the power grid, which can sag the voltage a little. Something as simple as a 1 or 2 volt shift at 120v can mean 4 or 8 volt shift after it's been fed through the power transformer.

Other things that can affect the tonality is air pressure and humidity, as it affects how the speaker behaves and how the vibrations are affected prior to hitting your eardrum.

And... sometimes your tone simply sounds better once you've had some time to adjust to it. One thing I've learned over the years is to NOT touch my EQ for around the first 15 minutes of playing. Otherwise I start changing things, only to find that the settings keep moving around as my ears adjust to what I'm hearing... then, after a half hour of frustration I find I move things right back to where I started and things start sounding right again.

Anywhere along the chain where wires are concerned their is risk of subtle shorts. Try a different connector cable between the head and speaker. Try a different guitar cable, disconnect all pedal boards and double check battery strengths, make sure the problem is not in the effects loop. I use a wooden chop-stick to tap the pre-amp tubes to make sure one of them has not gone microphonic. These amps are pretty reliable and thus I suspect connector cables. hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back